Solo traveller coming to Canada Sept/Oct

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am travelling to Canada from Western Australia in September/October this year and would appreciate any recommendations regarding accommodation/itinerary while I’m there.

At the moment, I’m due to arrive in Vancouver in the evening of Sunday 10 September and depart in the afternoon on Thursday 12 October. However, as it’s still peak season up until 30 September, I’m a little worried that accommodation may be on the expensive side so I’m debating whether to move my trip back until the end of September.

My tentative itinerary at the moment is 3 days in Vancouver (Sunday evening, Monday and Tuesday), fly to Calgary on Wednesday and then have about 5-6 days there (doing the Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Edmonton area), then I’m not sure! I also want to go to Halifax and the Maritimes, Montreal and Quebec City, and possibly Toronto.

Any advice re accommodation (of the hostel/B&B/”cheap but cheerful” hotel variety) and where to go after the Rockies would be appreciated. For example, I know that flights from Montreal to Halifax all seem to go via Toronto, so it doesn’t make sense to go Toronto - Montreal - Halifax because I’d be doubling back?

I’ve heard of the “Bidding For Travel” website but it looks a bit confusing plus I’m not sure if I can use it (is it for USA residents only?).

I’ve also posted this in the “Solo Traveller” forum as it’ll just be me making the journey north!

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:17 PM

As far as the Rockies are concerned, I think it would be ideal to visit them before October. Any time from the beginning of October onwards, some of the side roads can start to shut down for the winter. I'm thinking of places like Moraine Lake, Takakkaw Falls and Mount Edith Cavell. The Snocoach ride onto the Athabasca Glacier at the Columbia Icefields, if you're interested in doing it, operates until october 15th, weather permitting.

Although I have not stayed in them myself, I've heard that the hostels in Banff and Lake Louise are very nice. They have a reputation for being noisy in July and August, but they quieten down in September. Jasper's hostels are not right in town, and I've heard they're rather rustic. When it comes to Jasper, you may be better off finding "home accommodation" (like a B&B, without the breakfast but often with a kitchen).

My website may help you with Vancouver, the Canadian Rockies and Edmonton:

http://groups.msn.com/CalgaryandCana...kiesTravelTips

When it comes to East-Central Canada and the Maritimes, I think you're trying to fit in too much. Ideally you need two weeks to visit British Columbia and the Alberta Rockies, two weeks to visit Ontario and Quebec, and two weeks to visit the Maritimes.

If you're going to opt to visit Ontario and Quebec, you might consider including Niagara Falls and Ottawa. My apologies if this offends anyone, but I dislike the town of Niagara. However, the Falls really are worth seeing. And the nearby town of Niagara-on-the-Lake is charming. As for Ottawa, I like it a lot.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:36 PM

Postscript. If you are a solo traveller, it may be cost effective for you to use Moose Travel Network's hop-on / hop-off buses. I have not travelled with Moose myself, but have read favourable comments about them on the travel discussion forums:

http://www.moosenetwork.com/
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Angelfish,

Regarding (Priceline, which is what matters, and not "biddingfortravel", which is only a place where you read about strategies for bidding on Priceline), you should know that the main reason that the "U.S. residents only" ever mattered in the past was that they used to SEND A RECEIPT/itinerary via the MAIL to the address you gave.

Now, as Priceline no longer sends out those receipts... (just so long as) "someone" uses a credit card which is charged immediately after the successful bid and then "someone" of the same name shows up to check into the hotel on the appointed night, the hotel has no incentive to CARE from whose pocket came their revenue.

Priceline doesn't really care either, but biddingfortravel suggests that you simply make the full address you enter LOOK like a U.S. address (just because that is what fits into the computer form)

I make Priceline reservations for a Vancouver, Canada friend all the time, and make his address "Vancouver, Washington, USA" complete with a U.S. "zipcode".

The vibe I get from your post is that you may really need to scrape the low end of Priceline accommodations to afford your visit. I'm guessing you'll be looking into the 1-star and 2-star places on Priceline, hoping for very inexpensive rates.

About peak season, my experience with Vancouver hotels has seen a dropoff in rates just after "Labour Day" (Early Sept.)... and as Priceline bids are based on supply and demand, and NOT on the exact position on the calendar, it may not matter anyway.

People in this area forget that random visitors from down under can't just expect to hop on the next train a year from now and see eastern Canada. Of course you have to do and see as much as you can while you're up north.

A big empty spot in your post is whether or not you'll be renting cars during your time in Canada.

From what I know of the cities across Canada, you could easily enjoy and get a full effect of VANCOUVER without needing a rental car (if you had downtown accommodations).

For Calgary, the Rocky Mountains, and Edmonton, it sounds like you would need a car it wanting to do your trip YOUR way.

For Toronto... it is so big that the downtown area offers plenty to see and do without a car, and the surrounding areas are basically flat without much to lure you far away from metro Toronto (you could do without a car there).

Montreal is quite pleasant without a car... it is on an island so it is pretty flat and you can walk for miles on the big streets just shopping and eating and enjoying the french culture.

Halifax proper is enjoyable without a car but many of the natural wonders of Nova Scotia beckon you to have a vehicle for at least a day or two for a self-guided tour.

Sounds like the planning of your trip will be more fun than undertaking the hustle and bustle of it all.

A final thought on Priceline, I think that you should use Priceline a lot to secure lodging that you can afford.

If you need specific help with biddingfortravel and Priceline I would be happy to interact with you on one of the messenger services online. Just let me know which one you have.

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM

Don't you get lonely travelling that long alone? I would.

Try this site if you haven't already

http://www.backpackers.ca/mod.php?mo...p;companyid=62

I haven't stayed at one.

I would recommend flying WestJet Calgary to Toronto.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 08:30 PM

You might also look into:

http://www.globalbackpackers.com

for Toronto
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM

I like travelling on my own! If you are an experienced traveller (and most Aussies are) then you know you can meet people in the hostels so you will always have someone to hang out with if you want.

That said, I think you need to decide if you want to see a little bit of everything or a lot of some things. If you want the former, then I hope you can afford the flights, because there is no way you can see the west coast, the Rockies, Ontario and Quebec and the Maritimes in one month without spending a lot of money on airfare. Flights are definately not cheap in Canada.

If it were me, I would pick two areas and concentrate on them. For example, rather than spend 3 days in Vancouver and then fly off to Alberta, maybe you should spend more time in the Vancouver area (explore Whistler/Vancouver Island/Tofino etc), and then make your way to Alberta for the end of your trip.

If you want to hike while in the Rockies you will need a vehicle in order to get to the trails . If you are not renting a car you will find someone with a car at the hostel.

I stayed at the Whister hostel in Jasper many years ago - it was nice and cheerful.

Another option is to spend more time in Vancouver and then fly straight to Montreal and from there go on to the Maritimes. You can see the mountains around Vancouver, which are not as nice as the Rockies (I am biased though because I live in Alberta), but it will allow you enough time to do justice to Montreal and the Maritimes.

As for the Maritimes - my personal favourite is PEI.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 09:42 AM

For reasonable accommodation in Vancouver look up Hotel Buchan on the internet. The location is ideal, a quiet residential neighborhood, yet everything nearby. One block from restaurants, a couple blocks from Stanley Park, and a couple blocks from English Bay. I stayed there last month and it was great.

I stayed at Maeva hostel in Montreal and it was fine. Montreal and Quebec City are must-see's. I'm Canadian and it was almost like visiting another country, especially Quebec City.

Karla