Reload this Page >

Single Female in Toronto

Search

Single Female in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Mary

Single Female in Toronto

I'm planning on taking a trip to Toronto this spring and am looking for something near enough to attractions (places of interest are the Skydome and The National Trade Centre at Exhibition Place and other places downtown.) but not busting my budget. <BR> <BR>I'm look for something in a safe neighborhood, in the range of $60-90 a night. I don't want to spend too much because I plan to be there 3-4 nights. <BR> <BR>I found a few places that are B&B online, and they seem to be the ones in that price range (I do not like the idea of a hostel), but I don't know if they're in safe areas or have good reputations. One is "Helga's Place Bed and Breakfast" on Codsell Ave. <BR> <BR>Another consideration is that I do not have a credit card with which to make a reservation. <BR> <BR>HELP? I think my head is starting to spin!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 10:44 AM
gary

Why oh why do Americans, (I'm assuming Mary is an American), keep harping on 'safe'. Anyplace you'ld want to go in Toronto is 'safe' within reason. Toronto is one of the safest big cities in North America but that doesn't mean there's zero chance of being a victim. Take the same precautions you would in a reasonably 'safe' area of your home town and you should be just fine in any of the places you've mentioned. <BR> <BR>If you don't have a credit card then you'll have to resort to the old fasioned way of sending a cheque direct to the place for the deposit and getting a confirmation and receipt back from them.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Connor

Obviously Gary's answer is from the male point of view. Any women traveling alone should be concerned about safety no matter where she is traveling. Any travel book you read from AAA to Fodors warns about safety issues whether you are male, female, Canadian, American, traveling in groups or alone. <BR> <BR>As for singling out Americans, it seems rather insensitive considering the pain and suffering all Americans are experiencing right now. All those working in the WTC thought they were safe and protected on Sept. 11 and I think we've learned that this is just not so any more. Sorry Mary, I don't have any specific information on your questions, but I hope you have a great time. I've been to Toronto many times and it is a great city.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Faina

Mary, I was in Toronto with my teenage son, and we agreed to spend some time apart there visiting different sights. Besides, I went out at night alone. I felt VERY safe compare to San Francisco. Met a local man from the Internet and he confirmed - the whole city is safe if you keep yourself reasonably alert. If you flash lots of cash you can't feel safe anywhere. Am I wrong?

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Brian Kilgore

Mary, ignoring your anti-hostel comment, I direct you to a hostel. Go to www.globabalbackpackers.com and then check the Toronto facility. <BR> <BR>It's within a five minute walk of the SkyDome and the streetcar that leads to another streetcar that goes into the exhibition grounds goes right past the door. <BR> <BR>It is about two minutes west (by foot) of the Holiday Inn on King, and is at the corner of King and Spadina. <BR> <BR>That neighborhood is lively and busy until past midnight most nights, so you will not be alone on the streets walking back to the hostel. <BR> <BR>And, because it caters to young people, it will have some way of coping with the lack of a credit card. <BR> <BR>It's about five minutes from my office, and my office building has several young women living in it (stange building, but anyway) and none seem worried about the neighborhood. <BR> <BR>I echo the "the whole city is safe" comment, the only nervousness I'd advance is linked to a couple of neighborhoods, with the caveat that you stay downtown. <BR> <BR>$60 to $90 a night is very little money oin Toronto terms., We're a major city, with big city prices, and you'll have to pay to be in the heart of it. It's too interesting a place to get stuck in the outrskirts, having to take an hour on the bus and stretcar and subway to get to the places you want to see. <BR> <BR>Two of the lowest priced real hotels downtown are the Strathcona and the hotel Victoria. The Strathcona is next door to the Fairmont Royal York, and is close to SkyDome (five minutes walk) while the Victoria is another five minutes further away. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 07:07 AM
gary

Connor, I sorta resent the implication that I was being insensitive to Mary's sex or nationality in light of 911. First I have heard this concern about 'safety' at least as often from Americans of the male persuasion as of the female and in all cases it seemed to stem from something within their own culture or home environment. <BR> <BR>You will note that I did not say that any area was perfectly safe - only that they should take the same common sence precautions they would take in a reasonably safe area of their town. Because shit happens in the best of places. For instance I would advise anyone driving a car with an out of province license plate to be very careful of where they park it because such cars are prime marks for thieves. <BR> <BR>As to being insensitive to 911 - if anything Americans can and should feel safer in Canada. While Canada's military role in the anti terrorism campaign is only exceeded by the US and Britain for some reason the terrorists have never felt they get the same 'bang for their buck' by terrorising Canadian targets as opposed to US, European and of course Israeli. I guess it's one of the advantages of always having such a low profile on CNN. Bottom line is that Americans are certainly safer from terrorists in Canada than they would be in the US or Europe.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Ariel

Mary - I tried finding Codsell Ave on the map, but can't. There is Coxwell Ave near my neighbourhood - maybe you mean that one? The street is okay, definitly safe, but not one of the prettiest streets in Toronto. You can check out the Beaches area - there is a B&B on Queen Street just west of Woodbine (not sure of the name). The Beaches is great place - I live down there - lots of shops, cafes, restaurants, alhtough you will need to take the streetcar to get downtown to the sites. The Beaches is a very safe place. <BR> <BR>I understand why you are asking about safety (I've been to a number of major U.S. cities and been completely surprised by some of the areas I saw - we don't have the same VERY poor areas here in Toronto, but of course, not every area is okay. They are just generally all safe during the day. <BR> <BR>Also - curious - what is at the National Trade Centre? I know if is there, but have never visited, unless there is a show going on at the time. <BR> <BR>highlights of Toronto: The Danforth (Greek town), The Beaches (I love it), Chinatown (Spadina Ave. start at Queeen and head north), Little Italy (College and Clinton? around there), Yorkville (for window shopping (Yorkville Ave, 1 north of Bloor), Toronto Island (take the ferry from the bottom of Bay Street to Wards Island and walk through the artists houses, stop in for a tea at the cafe, the big white house on the path by the water, south side of the lake). <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Connor

Gary, I've visited Canada many times and found it to be very lovely and we have never had a safety issue there. As for your answer in regards to Sept. 11, it's very hard to anticipate the actions of a terrorist and to assume that one place is safer than another. They strike wherever they can inflict the most pain regardless of what is happening on CNN. Like you, most Americans felt safe in their own country until Sept. 11 Assuming that it can't happen to you is a naive and uninformed opinion. Americans have now received their wake up call and I hope that another country never has to suffer at the hands of terrorists. <BR> <BR>I was on this site because I will be vacationing in Canada and since I've found the travel information I was looking for I will be signing off permanently since there is no sense in debating the events of September 11. The saddness speaks for itself.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Justine

Hi Mary, If possible, you should try to get a credit card before the Spring because of the U.S. money conversion. For example, I got a double room for four nights last month at Howard Johnson's for $85 a night plus 12% taxes. When my credit card carrier converted the charge, it wound up costing me about $55 U.S. dollars per night. Not bad. Plus I will get a refund for the 12% GST taxes which should come to about $40. <BR> <BR>If you can't get a credit card, perhaps you can get a debit card if you have a checking account. The bank draws money out of your account yet you can make a phone reservation using the debit card. The phone reservation also holds your room without having to send a check. <BR> <BR>Being a native New Yorker, my radar is always on high alert for safety. I felt relatively safe in Toronto; especially on the subway. However, there are some areas that are rundown/seedy like anywhere else so just use common sense. Most of the downtown attractions feel very safe but I use that term lightly in light of our tragedy that is turning into a worldwide fight against terrorism. Canadians and other countries must not get complacent because one never knows what's on terrorists' agenda. <BR> <BR>Have fun in Toronto - it's a great city with many interesting neighborhoods. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 11:52 AM
Brian Kilgore

Mary, I have found Codsell Avenue, and it is NOT a place for you to stay. <BR> <BR>It is many, many miles from the interesting part of Toronto, and you will spend much too much time on buses and subways. <BR> <BR>For others curious where this street is: north of highway 401, east of Downsview airport. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 10:54 PM
Bonnie

Try expedia.ca, toronto.com, or Air Canada's Websaver rates for Hotels. The latter is usually for last minute rates but it will give you an idea of any Toronto hotels in your price range. Don't particularly like the suggestion of the Hostel. Been in it to get some information for my daughter who was backpacking and would use it as a last resort. Right now hotels are pretty flexible in their pricing due to the number of cancellations so call some direct once you have narrowed down your choices. Are you a AAA member by chance? That's worth a few dollars off the usual rate. Good luck.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 11:06 PM
Bonnie

Mary, thought of a better website for you: BBCanada.com (bed and breakfast Canada). Just checked it out and I think you will find something affordable downtown there. Consider the Yorkville area as well as right downtown.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Don

Mary, if you can get a credit card before you're ready to finalize your plans, check out http://www.BiddingForTravel.com. <BR> <BR>Go to the Non-U.S. Hotels category and look at the Ontario (Toronto, Ottawa) topic. You'll see a list of winning bids on Priceline for Ontario hotels, including a lot of winners in downtown Toronto. Most of the winning bids on 3* and even 4* hotels are in the $30s up to $50, with the occasional winning bid higher than that. (The 3* Courtyard mentioned several times is now a 2.5* hotel, if I'm not mistaken.) The prices mentioned here are in U.S. dollars. <BR> <BR>If these prices sound good, read the Hotel FAQs near the top of the site for info on informed Priceline bidding--it's an art. <BR> <BR>There's also a Hotel Reviews category that includes people's reviews after staying in these hotels. Check out the Canada topic for reviews of some of the downtown Toronto hotels to make sure that nobody's experience was so bad that it'd make you think twice about bidding for that star-rating of hotel in that zone of the city. People also include info on things like parking charges (if you happen to have a car) and other costs (resort fees, etc.) you might have to factor in. <BR> <BR>If you do decide to try Priceline, check out the Bonus Money Opportunities topic (under the Miscellaneous category, near the bottom) on the BiddingForTravel site. Right now there's a link that would add $5/night (up to $25) to your bid--accessing Priceline via this link would make it possible for you to pay less of your own money on a winning bid. <BR> <BR>Usual disclaimers apply--no vested interest in your using Priceline or the Web site mentioned above, past winning bids are no guarantee that you'll be able to match them (although your possible winning bid could be higher or lower), you can't bid on a specific hotel (just a star rating and an area of the city), yadda, yadda. <BR> <BR>Still, if you think $60-$90 is reasonable and you can get a credit card and can be flexible on your hotel choice, the winning bids most people have posted on the BiddingForTravel site seem to indicate that Priceline could probably find you something cheaper. <BR> <BR>In any case, enjoy your trip to Toronto!