Shopping inToronto

Search

Shopping inToronto

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 12:03 PM
ericadelafe

Shopping inToronto

Greetings from NYC!!
Leaving for Niagara Falls and Toronto tomorrow morning...And as usual, I procrastinated!
I want to go shopping since I"ve heard it's a wonderful place to do so. Looking for bargain prices, or sales...Designer clothing isn't a must...Just good quality and nice style...Is it worth it to pass by the GAPs and Banana Republics?...Where do the locals go for their clothes?
Thanx!

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 01:47 PM
BAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We go to Gap and Banana Republic.
Well, not all of us, all the time, but often.

There's a chain called Winner's, which has several stores, and offers ends of lines, name brands, etc. at very good prices. men's shirts for less than half price, but you only get to pick from what they have. Clean, well run stores, no sense of being in a dump.

In downtown Toronto, there's a Winner's on Spadina Avenue, just south of King Street West, and another in the College Park development, on Yonge Street, at Carlton / College, downtown. (CArlton changes its name to College as it crosses yonge Street. This is a few blocks north of The Eaton Center, a giant downtown indoor shopping mall.

For funkier stuff, walk west on Queen Street West, from University Avenue to Spadian Ave, and for real funky, keep going west on Queen towards Bathurst.

For ex[pensive stuff, the Yorkville area, between Avenue Raod and Yonge Street, from Bloor Street 9for a few blocks.

Remember that US dollars are worth about $135 Canadian. usually for same-store corss border chains (Gap, Eddie Bauers, etc.,) Canadian prices are pretty much the US ones, adjusted for exchange.
For premium mens' wear, Harry Rosen -- several stores.

For a great Harris Tween mens' jacket, Harrington's in the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel.

BAK

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:03 PM
ericadelafe

Thanks BAK!
In that case, then I'll limit myself to the local chains...Like I said, I just want to take advantage of the possible savings...Not spend what I would here...What about taxes? Is it also 12%?
I'll be staying at the King E, so I guess location wise I'm set ;-)
Thanks so much!

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:57 PM

There's 15% tax (7% GST and 8% PST).

I'm not crazy about Winners for clothes, although it's better for housewares. The store at Spadina & King is crowded and I much prefer the one at College Park.

For clothes, I tend to shop at Talbots. Yes, I realize it's an American chain, but there's a Talbots outlet - not convenient to downtown at all, so it's usually an 'excursion' when I do go out there. They have a sale a few times a year and it's great (and there's a sale this weekend, so I may end up out there this weekend!). I don't imagine that's the kind of place you're looking for though.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 05:43 PM

Hi:

I hope I'm not too late.
For shopping, you can try a very Canadian Store, "Roots", the same company that outfitted the U.S. Olympic team. They have good quality clothes. You can find a roots store at the Eaton Centre.

Another store, that has good quality and stylish clothes is "Club Monaco" started by Alfred Sung, although he no longer own it. Also at the Eaton Centre.

You can also try "Jacobs", Eaton Centre.