shopping in Vancouver

Dec 21st, 2002, 07:48 PM
shopper

shopping in Vancouver

Hi we are going to Vancouver to visit family and hope to get in some shopping. Besides Robson and Denham, and Metrotown what other shopping areas/centres would you recommend? We like funky, eclectic stuff along with your run of the mill GAP type spots. We are staying in the Westend but we have a car so anywhere on the lower mainland within reason would be great.

We are also looking for a great downtown bakery/pastry shop where we could pick up dessert for Christmas dinner

Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:27 AM
Robyn

Without a doubt, the pastry shop you'll want to be looking for is the Bon Ton Bakery (which used to be located on Granville Street, but is now on Broadway). This is a Vancouver institution. No other bakery has this sort of history with the city. None that I can think of.

The Bon Ton has been a tradition in my family around Christmas time, and apparently for others as well. There are even lineups out the doors on Christmas eve. The Bon Ton specializes in French pastries, cakes, cookies, marzipan animals, bread, croissants... oh, you name it! Yummmm! Half the fun is picking the bon tons... there are so many to choose from.

Unfortunately, there are no pictures online, but I did find a small review with a picture here: http://www.vanmag.com/9912/kitchen.html

Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:31 AM
Robyn

Probably a better link for the Bon Ton is this:

http://www.vancourier.com/112201/news/112201nn6.html

As for neighbourhoods, I'd suggest the following:

Yaletown - the south-west part of downtown Vancouver

South Granville - the whole part of Granville between W 16th Avenue and the Granville Street Bridge. Even parts of Broadway (at the intersection of Granville) have some amazing cooking shops and bookstores.

Kerrisdale - an eclectic upper class neighbourhood with old fashioned charm

Steveston - in south-west Richmond, just south of Vancouver... lots of unique boutiques and shops. Check out the store called "Pieces".

West 4th Avenue - around Burrard Street and heading west. There are a lot of unique shops to find here.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:08 PM
shopper

thank you for your suggestions. One question though, Where is the Kerrisdale community?

Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:25 PM
Robyn

Kerrisdale is located on West 41st Avenue, at Arbutus Street. Kind of in the south-west part of Vancouver, east of UBC, west of Granville Street.