SARS and end of June Montreal Jazzfest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to seem so hystrionic. I am contemplating spending a lot of money to get non refundable tickets for the JazzFest that begins late June. We have booked the Holiday Inn in Montreal Chinatown. MY question is, how do I get credible info on the TRUE status of Sars?
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:27 PM
JMM

The CDC SARS website is by far the best source of accurate up-to-date sensible SARS info.
Ignore posters here (myself included) and check the CDC site:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/sars/index.htm

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 01:24 PM
BAK

You have nothing to worry about, and should make your plans.

The people of Montreal are living their lives now just like two months ago, and they'll live the same way in late June. They are not worried, and you should not be, either.

The CDC advice is excellent. CDC has a doctor in toronto right now, monitoring SARS, and he's been on tgelevision saying not to worry, because he isn't worried himself.

BAK
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 01:31 PM

BTW, I read in La Presse this morning that there are as of yet no cases of SARS, probable or suspect, in Montreal or in fact in the entire province of Quebec.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 09:21 AM

El Dorado, trust me, there is no problem with SARS. Firstly, I feel that the whole thing has been overblown by the media as I have relatives living in Toronto who continue to live normal lives and feel very safe and secure. Montreal has not had one SARS case and despite the fact that your hotel will be located in Chinatown, there is no reason to worry. Enjoy.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

I just had a revelation about the media and my brain. In reading buddist philosophy, I've realized how our brains usually search for stuff to worry about. And as we solve one problem, another comes right along to obsess about.
I like what I'm reading here----I've finally woken up to how sick our media is and how it needs to over focus on the latest negativity
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 05:07 PM

If anyone has seen "Bowling for Columbine", Michael Moore touches on the same subject, on how the media does more to promote fear and paranoia.

SARS is really confined to the hospitals at the moments. It's not rampant in the streets. The reason it's become a big issue is because it's an unknown disease, and it's contagious.

I would not alter your plans in any way. I'm flying out to Ottawa and Montreal for 2 weeks this Friday, and while I'm not planning to hang around in Toronto hospitals, I'm not even going to think about SARS. There are other things to worry about.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 01:32 AM

Second vote for CDC website. While I agree with most of above posts and realize that statistically your chances of getting SARS, even in Toronto or Hong Kong, is very small - no one can accurately predict the course of this virus. It is likely that Montreal in June will be fine - but there is also a possibility that the virus will spread to other Canadian cities or other parts of the world. How comfortable would you be travelling if it did? And how much can you afford to lose the money if you were not comfortable? Only you can answer.