Reload this Page >

Saltspring Island - best time of year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Granny

What is the best time of year to visit Saltspring Island? Are bugs, excessive heat or humidity a problem there? How heavy are spring rains there? <BR> <BR>Any other comments about Saltspring Island? <BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 11:37 AM
sheri

Autumn is generally my favorite time of year anywhere in the Pacific NW. The weather generally stays nice into October, and fall is usually drier than the spring (although the rains in the spring are usually more of a constant drizzle than a heavy downpour). <BR> <BR>I had to laugh when you mentioned excessive heat and humidity. Umm, no, those aren't a problem, even in July and August! I've never noticed bugs to be a big problem anywhere around here, except in the woods. The yellowjackets can be annoying in the fall, though, if you are trying to eat or drink outside.

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 05:18 PM
Mike Bilinski

"Any other comments about Saltspring Island?" <BR>When driving be very careful of Deer on the road,esp at Dusk. <BR>This is serious they are everywhere and not too interested in moving for you. <BR>Roads are twisty and winding,hills are common,blind corners are common. <BR>The last thing you need is a collision-Please Drive Carefully! <BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 05:24 PM
April

Be sure to go up Mount Maxwell.

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 10:45 AM
dnorrie

I agree with Mike - you must be very, very careful about the deer on the road. Hitting one can be life threatening. Always watch, when driving, both sides of the road and be sure that you slow if you see wildlife. Deer are unpredictable and can bolt for the road quicker than you can think. As Canada is a "cold" country, the only insects you need worry about are wasps, yellow jackets and mosquitos. Just bring some repellent. You would love Salt Spring Island. It is beautiful.