Rocky Mountaineer Calgary to Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are hoping to travel from Calgary to Vancouver (2 Days/1 Night) on the Rock Mountaineer in August 2007. I have read that there is no smoking allowed. My husband is a smoker. Does the train make regular stops?
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 09:42 AM

I have never been on the RM, but my understanding is that it travels all day without stopping.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Oops, the train does stop in Banff on the way from Calgary to Kamloops. But the Banff - Kamloops leg is a pretty long haul, as is the Kamloops - Vancouver leg on the second day.

I have not found the Calgary - Vancouver schedule on the RM's website, but I have found the Vancouver - Calgary schedule, which should give you an idea of the time frames involved.

DAY 1 : VANCOUVER TO KAMLOOPS

Board 7.30 a.m. Pacific Time
Arrive 5.35 p.m. Pacific Time

DAY 2 : VANCOUVER TO CALGARY

Board 6.30 a.m. Pacific Time (breakfast on train)
Arrive Banff 7.00 p.m. Mountain Time
Arrive Calgary 9.20 p.m. Mountain Time

If you log onto the RM's website from Monday – Friday 7 am - 7 pm North American Pacific Standard Time or Saturday and Sunday 8 am – 4 pm PST, you can pose your questions to a live operator via their online chat feature. That feature does not appear to be operational at the moment, perhaps because today is the Thanksgiving public holiday in Canada.

http://www.rockymountaineer.com/contact/

Hope that helps.

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 01:39 PM

I worked at Vancouver's tourist info centre this past summer, and occasionally I would book Rocky Mountaineer trips for visitors. As a result, I got to be quite familiar with the Rocky Mountaineer policies.

If you're a smoker, you're basically out of luck until you arrive at your destination. As Judy mentioned, there is a stop in Banff, but from Banff until Kamloops there is no stop. From Kamloops to Vancouver, again, you're looking at quite a long haul without stopping. I forget how long it takes, but the Rocky Mountaineers leave incredibly early in the morning and arrive at their destinations by early evening.

One of the Rocky Mountaineer's staff told us a story about how they've had people cancel mid-trip because of they were unaware that they weren't allowed to smoke.

But as Judy suggests, it might be worth a phone call just to confirm.

The Rocky Mountaineer representatives made it clear for us to warn smokers that there's no smoking until you disembark the train.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:26 AM

I've taken the trip from Vancouver to Banff - there's no smoking. As mentioned, except for the stop in Kamloops, there are no stops where one could disembark and smoke.

This is from their website Q&A: "Is smoking permitted on the train and in the hotel rooms?
To ensure the preservation of the fragile environment of the areas in which we travel and for the comfort of all guests and employees, there is no smoking onboard Rocky Mountaineer. This includes the vestibules between the coaches and restroom facilities. The hotels do have limited smoking rooms available so please make sure you indicate your preference to the reservations or travel agent when you book your tour."
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM

kareen,
We were on the Rocky Mountaineer a couple years ago. It just left Banff for Vancouver and got stuck behind a freight train that broke down. We sat there for 7 hours until the freight was repaired and got into Kamloops in the wee hours of the morning. This is not likely to happen to you, but you have to consider that CP rail and their freight have first priority, and you can be delayed at any time.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for their information.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Being an X smoker, I feel for your husband but smoking is just not a "done" thing in Canada these days. Part of the reason I quit some years ago, it was just becoming far too much hassle.

This is from the RM website:

7. Is smoking permitted on the train and in the hotel rooms?
To ensure the preservation of the fragile environment of the areas in which we travel and for the comfort of all guests and employees, there is no smoking onboard Rocky Mountaineer. This includes the vestibules between the coaches and restroom facilities. The hotels do have limited smoking rooms available so please make sure you indicate your preference to the reservations or travel agent when you book your tour.