Road trip from Vancouver to Calgary

Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip from Vancouver to Calgary

We live in Vancouver and like everyone else have been cooped up for too long. We're wondering about a road trip from here to Calgary by way of Banff and then coming home by way of the Crow's Nest Highway through Castlegar. Spring break is March 11th for two weeks. Is it too early to safely drive that route at that time and if so suggestions of overnight stays not too expensive between Vancouver and Banff - maybe around Revelstoke - I know there's a lot of skiing around there. Thank you
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 10:47 AM

If you're driving east over mountain ranges in March, you just have to be hyper vigilant, pay attention to road conditions on the Drive BC website and pay attention to Environment Canada's weather warnings all along your route, and there build flexibility into your schedule if the weather forecase shows that conditions are treacherous. If there's a snowstorm alert in the weather forecast along your route, you'd be best to wait it out and not drive during that snowstorm. With two weeks, you have plenty of time. But you'll also want to get your car checked out, make sure you have a winter survival kit in your car with food, blankets, candles, etc. in the rare case you get stranded and have to overnight on a mountain pass in your car in subzero temperatures for a few nights. You'll also only want to drive in the daylight hours. So I'd just map a few communities you can pull in to on those off chances you'll encounter a snow storm. i.e. Grand Forks, Rock Creek, Osoyoos, Princeton, etc.

I can't speak for how the roads are in March as I've never driven that route in March. I did drive that route in May last year, however and it's a great drive. But March would be too early for me personally. I probably would wait a month. But that's my risk factor.
Old Feb 27th, 2022, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you BC_Robyn. I am so lucky you responded to my queries when you did as it was a real awakening. Driving in the snow in Vancouver during the cold snap is very doable considering I never go very far but taking on conditions that could require blankets and candles is a whole other level even if the chance is quite small. This trip was with my two teen grandchildren one who just got her new driver's license this Friday. It was a fun idea but it sounds like as you mentioned it's more a trip for the middle of May than for the middle of March. I think we're better off looking for spring break ideas that are are a bit closer to home. Thank's again for taking the time to respond.