Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Ottawa-Hull

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 03:59 PM
david ess

We are interested in any recommendations for high-end eateries (Italian, French, Continental, not too terribly "fusiony") in this area, preferably new in the last couple of years. The old posts don't seem to be much help. And any comments on Laurier sur Montcalm in Hull, Wilfrid's, Merlot and Bistro 116 in Ottawa would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:06 PM
david ess

I guess that's Bistro 115, not 116. And how about Juniper, and "Eighteen" in Ottawa as well? Thanks again.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:47 PM
DianeG

This one is not new, but tops in Hull: Cafe Henry Burger (pronounced "burgé", with a French "u").

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:02 PM
david ess

Thanks, Diane. Anybody else out there have a view on these places (or anywhere else, for dining out in the Ottawa-Hull area, for that matter?) Thanks

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:23 AM
BBT

You might like to try Social as well. Best salmon I have had in a LONG time.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Lynne

My favourite Italian restaurant in Ottawa is LaRoma - especially if you are a veal fan! There are lots of GREAT Italian restaurants on Preston. Meditheo on the market has great brunch. I love Feleena's on Bank and in Westboro Agave (new!) for Mexican. Enjoy Ottawa.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:33 AM
Jim Rosenberg

David, here's a place we enjoyed last summer that I would highly recommend:<BR><BR>Andrew's Cafe, 388 rue Albert in Ottawa, near the Crowne Plaza hotel (613) 230-8057. Andrew's is a wonderfully intimate fine dining experience. Housed in a brick, Dutch colonial-type structure, you can't miss it in its neighborhood of much larger, city-scape buildings. Chef Andrew Coughlan had tenures with the fabulous Chateau Laurier and Four Seasons group prior to opening his own place in the mid-1990s. This is a wonderful dining experience and you should plan to choose a bottle from the wine list to go with your elegant meal which hearkens in appearance, flavor and presentation to a fine French restaurant. <BR><BR>Specialties of the house include Parisien Flambe and Continental cuisine. We can heartily recommend the seafood toss with a bottle of Chardonney. Lunch and dinner are served Monday-Friday, with dinners only on Saturdays and Sundays. This place lacks nothing in quality and ambiance, yet it is unassuming and you won't need evening wear. Bon appetit!<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:34 AM
Jim Rosenberg

David, here's a place we enjoyed last summer that I would highly recommend:<BR><BR>Andrew's Cafe, 388 rue Albert in Ottawa, near the Crowne Plaza hotel (613) 230-8057. Andrew's is a wonderfully intimate fine dining experience. Housed in a brick, Dutch colonial-type structure, you can't miss it in its neighborhood of much larger, city-scape buildings. Chef Andrew Coughlan had tenures with the fabulous Chateau Laurier and Four Seasons group prior to opening his own place in the mid-1990s. This is a wonderful dining experience and you should plan to choose a bottle from the wine list to go with your elegant meal which hearkens in appearance, flavor and presentation to a fine French restaurant. <BR><BR>Specialties of the house include Parisien Flambe and Continental cuisine. We can heartily recommend the seafood toss with a bottle of Chardonnay. Lunch and dinner are served Monday-Friday, with dinners only on Saturdays and Sundays. This place lacks nothing in quality and ambiance, yet it is unassuming and you won't need evening wear. Bon appetit!<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:35 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Ooops! Guess I double-clutched it!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:57 AM
lisa

Hi David,<BR><BR>Some other restaurant recommendations:<BR><BR>Italian<BR>- Bella's Bistro (Westboro - 10 mins. from downtown). Delicious Italian food.<BR><BR>- Trattoria Zingaro (Beechwood - 5 mins. from downtown). Tuscan cuisine - best risotto in Ottawa<BR><BR>- Frescocielo - Elgin St. Very trendy, great pasta and veal.<BR><BR>French<BR><BR>- Laurier sur Montcalm is good but I prefer Tartuffe, also in Hull<BR>- Signatures - new Cordon Bleu very fancy French restaurant opened in Sandy Hill. Very expensive, very formal, quality ingredients (truffles, etc.)<BR>- Bistro 115 - good food, expensive. Lovely in summer to sit out on their patio<BR>- also enjoy Le Metro on Somerset St.<BR><BR>Continental <BR><BR>- Merlot is good <BR>- Wilfrid's is ok - not great.<BR>- for fancy hotel food, Daly's in the Westin is better<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:39 AM
david ess

Thanks, everybody--we're on our way. Watch out for a not-too-detailed critique along about Sept 1.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:50 AM
pol

hey there is a pretty good Mexican joint on the lake down south of down town that is good has cool outside deck killer margaritas. But I don't recall the name right off hand. It is actually on the canal I think

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:24 PM
D.S

Pol.. were you thinking of Mexicali Rosas? It's on Dow's Lake.. I wouldn't classify this as a high end eatery, although their food is good. On a nice summer day, patio dining is great.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:59 PM
david ess

For those who care, I promised a short critique of the restaurants visited in Ottawa last week. First, stay at the Chateau Laurier if you can--they've upgraded everything including the staff--a thoroughly pleasant experience.<BR><BR>Restaurants:<BR><BR>1. Giovanni's-recommended as the best Italian in the area. Pretty good, unless you're from Toronto. Waiter polite, friendly, not a clue about the wine although the list was very, very good. Lots of privately imported topenders that only the owner knew about (and he was busy greeting). Complimentary bruschetta very good indeed, caesar salad same, my veal highly commendable (grilled just the way I asked for), my wife's shrimp and seafood pasta less so (why would you line the shrimp up along one side of the plate?). I asked for Strega with my coffee and they brought me a tinted Zambucca and hoped I didn't catch the difference. $CDN 200 ($80. bottle of wine) before tip. "B-".<BR><BR>2. Light of India--in the Glebe section of town (Bank and First), $CDN 8 from the Chateau, and a real find. Apparently unadvertised, unreviewed, but not underpatronized; the locals are on to a good thing. Non-greasy, flavourful standard Indian food--lamb sag gosht, aloo ghobi, shrimps masala, standard pakoras, samosas, really, really good naan and raita, and a complimentary fruit desert, all served informally and with enthusiasm. $CDN 80.(4 beers) before tip. "A-".<BR><BR>3. Bistro 115--on Murray Street just off the Byward market area. Yes, yes, yes, for lunch at least. Sit out under the grape arbour (real vines, real grapes) and have the gazpacho and a real honest-to-God salade nicoise. Right on the money with friendly, competent service. As good as all their recommendations. Only what comes below stopped us from returning for dinner.<BR>Lunch $CDN 60.(half-litre chablis) before tip. "A".<BR><BR>4. Le Cafe at the National Arts Centre"--the best we had in Ottawa. First, lunch. Right beside the Rideau Canal, open to the elements, great service, really comfortable tables and chairs (Hauser cast aluminum for those interested). Try "Hamilton Southam's (the founder's) Favourite Lunch" an off-centre salade nicoise with a great potato salad, fish, lightly boiled eggs, crunchy haricots verts, etc; the raspberry sherbet for dessert. $CDN 50. (with a half-litre of Cdn. white (Ont VQA chardonnay)) before tip.<BR><BR>Exceeded only by their dinner. Single-bone rack of lamb with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and their pork tenderloin both winners; the cold cucumber soup the same. Desserts of the same calibre. If there's a performance at the NAC, go at 1930hrs and get a great, canal-side table. $CDN 140 (with a $50. bottle of wine) "A+"<BR><BR>Looked at the menus of Tartuffe, Cafe Henri Burger and Laurier sur Montcalm in Hull. Overpriced and tired. How's that for a summary dismissal?

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:32 PM
DianeG

Thanks for reporting back, David. I had forgotten how good Le Cafe at the NAC is. As for the Light of India, I'll definitely have to give it a try.<BR><BR>As for the dismissal of the Tartuffe, Laurier sur Montcalm and Caf&eacute; Henri Burger, you may be correct in your summary assessment about the "tired" menu, but I still like the quality of the food at Caf&eacute; Henri Burger.<BR><BR>It sounds like you enjoyed your meals in Ottawa and I hope that the rest of your visit was enjoyable too.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:37 PM
david ess

Hi, DianeG. Might have been a bit cavalier about the Hull places, but oh, those prices! For duck? pork tenderloin? farmed salmon? (OK--I can't tell the difference between farm and wild, but they can and they're taking advantage)! They don't do rabbit, or game (venison aside, and we know that's off the farm, too). My friends tell me that they didn't (and don't) get enough to eat at Madame Burger's (so it was called when I was a callow law student in Ottawa). What about Le Verlan? Do you know it? Coming up there again soon, by the rudest of chances, and somebody's suggested to me that this is the place. No?