Reload this Page >

reservations on the B.C. ferry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 09:50 AM
dee

going to Victoria, B.C. in early April. I wanted to know is it nesseccary to make reservations on the B.C. ferry from Vancouver to Victoria. Does it take long to get from the airport to the Tswwassen-Swartz Bay ferry?

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Robyn

Hi there, <BR> <BR>I live in Greater Vancouver, and I went to Victoria yesterday for a day trip. From the Vancouver Airport, it takes about 30 minutes to drive to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal. <BR> <BR>Making ferry reservations aren't necessary at all. We decided to take the first ferry at 7am. Me and my boyfriend left his place at 6am. We passed the Vancouver Airport by 6:10am and got to my house in Richmond by 6:20am. We arrived at the ferry terminal by 6:40am. We didn't have to wait 10 minutes before we started to drive onto the ferry. <BR> <BR>Of course, the later in the day (ie: mid afternoon), or the closer it is to summer, the more busier the ferry terminals are. So you'd probably want to be at the ferry terminal a whole hour before you chosen ferry leaves, in order to get a spot in line. <BR> <BR>But in April, I'd say try to be there half an hour early if you want to leave in the morning, or an hour early if you want to leave in the afternoon. <BR> <BR>I think they have reservations incase you absolutely *have* to be at the destination by a certain time, and you can't afford to miss the ferry (ie: think weddings, major events, etc). Other than that, I wouldn't say having a reservation is necessary at all.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 12:59 PM
April

I agree with Robyn. Don't waste your money.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Bob Brown

There is a very good web site for BC <BR>Ferries. <BR>Surprisingly, it is www.bcferries.com <BR>It will give you full schedule information. <BR>The trip from Tsawwassen is fun. The ferry boats are large vessels actually. <BR>The Spririt of British Columbia is about 550 feet long, holds 470 cars (average), and has a cafeteria, video games, and the like. <BR> <BR>After you drive your car onto the ship, most peole leave their cars for the lounge areas. There is food service, seating areas, deck areas, etc. <BR>I think you will enjoy the ride. I did. <BR>

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 05:58 PM
BC Fairy

Yes there is food service but only the desperate and the brave eat the food! <BR>

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Robyn

Actually, they have a snack bar (drinks, dessert bars, etc), a cafeteria which is actually a White Spot restaurant! (which is a popular family BC restaurant chain) and a more classier buffet. <BR> <BR>I ate breakfast at the White Spot yesterday, and it was great. I think previously years ago the food on the ferries was iffy - but not anymore.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 09:54 PM
April

Isn't it only the Spirit vessels that have the White Spots?

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 04:48 PM
nanaimobaby

there certainly is not a white spot restaurant on the nanaimo runs.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Tahna

It's only the Spirit class ferries that have the White Spot. As far as I'm concerned, the food and the prices are not worth it. It would be a better idea to eat before you leave for the ferries and once you get to Victoria. Reservations are not necessary unless you absolutely have to be there at a certain time. But there is always a risk that you won't get on the one you were plannning to get on. My general rule of thumb is to arrive an hour early. In case you need it for timing, the ferry ride is about 1 hr. 35 min. but by the time you get on and off it's closer to two hours. It's about 25 minutes drive into Victoria.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 10:28 PM
April

Now that I've said not to bother with reservations, I'm going to grit my teeth and do it. Seems there have been line-ups lately but hopefully the situation will improve with the return of one of the Spirit ferries.