Reload this Page >

Question about departure taxes- Vancouver Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:45 PM
Tracey

I understand that there is a ten dollar departure tax in Vancouver. I haven't flown for awhile. Is this included in your ticket? I am flying on Air Canada, from Winnipeg to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Honolulu. Staying overnight in Vancouver. Same on the way back. Thanks for your help!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:59 PM
Robyn

There's an airport improvement fee that you pay when you depart from the Vancouver International Airport. <BR><BR>Here's the website you'll want to look at:<BR><BR>http://www.yvr.ca/authority/whoweare/aif.asp<BR><BR>It isn't included in your plane ticket.<BR><BR>You only pay it when you *depart* from the Vancouver Airport. <BR><BR>There are Airport Improvement Fee machines throughout the Departure terminal. They kind of look like parkade ticket dispensers or bank machines. You pay for the fee and prints out a ticket. You'll then give this ticket to the staff at the departure gate entrance. They don't let you in unless you've paid for the fee.<BR><BR>You'll pay $10 Canadian when you leave Vancouver for Hawaii. You'll pay $10 Canadian when you leave Vancouver for Winnipeg.<BR><BR>Also, you don't have to pay this fee if you're just connecting flights (ie: if you don't leave the departure lobby). If you're just connecting flights from Winnipeg to Hawaii, you won't have to pay the fee. But since you're overnighting in Vancouver on the way back, you will have to pay the fee.<BR><BR> I might have made it sound really complicated, but it's really not. There are also dozens of airport volunteers wearing green vests all throughout the Vancouver Airport. If you're ever confused about anything, talk to them. They're there to help.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:39 PM
Tracey

Thank you for your help!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:44 PM
Tracey

So, that means I will be paying twenty dollars. I will be flying from Winnipeg to Honolulu, staying overnight in Vancouver, then departing the next day to Honolulu. Then on the way back- Honolulu to Vancouver, I will be staying in Vancouver overnight, then flying the next back to Winnipeg.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:47 PM
Robyn

Unfortunately...

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:47 PM
Robyn

(Yes, that's what it means)

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 08:00 PM
rand

Another piece of advice. Use one of the 'parking ticket' machines to pay the fee and obtain the vouchers as Robyn suggests.<BR><BR>When you approach the departure gate, if there is a long line ahead of you, walk around to the front.<BR><BR>This usually is a line of people paying at a 'cashier window', and those who have prepaid can walk straight through showing the vouchers.<BR><BR>It has worked two years in a row for us.