Quebec City/Where to Stay?

Aug 7th, 1999, 06:32 PM
Tami Bianco

Quebec City/Where to Stay?

My husband and I are planning a 3-4 day stay in Quebec City with our 15 and 5 year old. Any suggestions of where to stay where non-French speaking Americans can stay? Thanks!

Aug 7th, 1999, 07:18 PM
Bob Brown

I suggest you look at the web site for La Maison du Mesnil on the Ile d'Orlean.
The island is in the St. Lawrence River not far from the old city. It is run by Renee Thibault, who is a native French Canadian, but she speaks enough English to be very helpful. Notice that her website is bilingual and very well done.
I am under the impression that she did it her self.
My wife and I stayed with her for 3 nights in '96 and we enjoyed ourselves.
The house was very comfortably furnished. The web site is:
http://www.quebecweb.com/BandBmesnil/
Her breakfasts are very, very good.
She served us fresh fruit, cereal, and all of the croissants and other goodies you could want.
I speak about as much French as Bon Jour, merci, and Ou sont les toilettes?
And of course parlez vous Anglais? So having Renee to help us was most beneficial.
I have suggested La Maison du Mesneil to others on this forum. They also stayed there and reported back that they enjoyed their stay. One good thing about it is that you can make a reservation via email. (That is what I did.)
The only draw back I can think of is that Renee had only one guest TV when I was there and it could not get a lot of English channels. But after all, you are in a French speaking nation.

The tourist office near the old walls of the city close to the parliament building is very helpful. The staff seemed 100% bilingual. The restaurants in the vicinity also have staff members who speak English, with English menus.
I surprised them by taking the French one and translating the whole thing with my dictionary.
The museum that gives the details of the Battle on the Plains of Abraham is bilingual and has a nice multi media presentation. The staff of the museum staff also speaks English.
One major social "no no" is to discuss the move to separate Quebec from the rest of Canada. I suggest leaving that subject alone. If it does come up, listen politely to the separatist point of view. But don't try to argue the issue; it is a hot potato.

Aug 8th, 1999, 11:14 AM
Mary

We stayed at the Hotel Manoir Victoria last year and had a very pleasant experience. (44 Cote du Palais, G1R4H8, tele: 418-692-1030; FAX: 418-692-3822.)
Hope this helps.

Aug 11th, 1999, 06:12 PM
Susan

The travel section of today's issue of the Globe and Mail (Wednesday, August 11) had an article on B&B's in Quebec City - some of them sounded wonderful. According to the article, they are 'licenced and strictly controlled .... welcoming guests with hospitality, ambiance and joie de vivre'. In case you're not familiar with the Globe and Mail, it's a national Canadian newspaper and you might want to check it out.

Aug 11th, 1999, 08:09 PM
stephanie

We stayed at the Chateau Frontenac, which is a landmark in Quebec City, and though it is expensive, it wasn't as much as it could be in a big American city when you consider the exchange rate which is pretty good right now. We benefited from our AAA discount which will help you if you have it.

It's in a great location, walking distance to most. It has a great indoor pool, including a shallow one good for small kids, though yours might not be interested.

There were several inexpensive eating options right there too.

Everyone there spoke great English without hesitation. We never felt that what poor French we did know was a hinderance - and that wasn't just at the hotel, that was everywhere we went.

Have a wonderful time!