Reload this Page >

Quebec City Summit Damage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 11:38 AM
shan

Hi! I am going to Quebec City in two days and was wondering if anyone could give me any indication (hopefully you've seen it for yourself) of the damage thats been a result of the WTO summit this past weekend. This is terrible timing for a vacation, I know! I have been watching the news (CTV newsnet, CBC newsworld) and it doesn't seem too devistating. I called my hotel and they say its not that bad, especially in their area of the old city, but are they really going to tell me otherwise?? I am not sure exacly where the protesters were but I plan on spending most of my time in the older areas of the upper and lower city, the typical tousisty type places! Thanks for any any help you can give! <BR>sincerely, <BR>Shan

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 03:58 PM
Brian Kilgore

The wall kept most of the protestors away from the older parts of the upper city. <BR> <BR>Besides, what choice have you got? Go and enjoy the scenery, or if there's still a mess, note the sociopolitical aspects of it and file it away as your own personal exposure to a big news event, and still enjoy your visit. <BR> <BR>BAK

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 08:15 PM
Marc

Everything is fine. For the record, it was the Summit of The Americas and not the World Trade Organization. Go and enjoy this beatiful city.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 09:59 PM
blah

that was a petty response. who gives a fuck marc what it was! <BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 05:01 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Who gives a %&$*? Perhaps those who find value in accuracy. Perhaps Shan so he/she doesn't use the incorrect term if she chooses to discuss it with people in Quebec City.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 10:03 AM
shan

For the record I knew it was called the Summit of the Americas...I am a broadcaster for heavens sake. Most people have been referring to it as the WTO or FTAA summit and thought I would use the terms most people have been using. Sorry to come across as an idiot. I'll be sure to use the proper term in the hundreds of conversations I'll be having about the summit <BR> <BR>Intellectually yours, <BR>Shan

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 11:52 PM
Sam I Am

Everything is beautiful - in it's own way! <BR> <BR>Peace, love and please don't cloud the real issues with pettiness - be sure, the world is truly going to hell in a ozone-depleted hand basket. <BR> <BR>Ta ta. Remember to apply your 60 SPF.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 04:15 PM
Pierre-Quebec

Hi Friends! <BR> <BR>Quebec City has always been a beautiful city, historic, lively, exciting and romantic as few other places in North America. <BR> <BR>Quebec City is blessed by all seasons! Ski here in winter! Or come to the Winter Carnival! Dine at a lively sidewalk café in summer and enjoy the Summer Festival or the Festival of New France! So many flowers and gardens all over the place! The Indian Summer is so colorful and warm! Spring is the season for Maple Sirup! There is always something exciting going on in Quebec City. <BR> <BR>The wall of the Summit around Old Québec was a deep hurt to all, not only the citizens of the city but to the lovers of this unique city throughout the world. The only city in North America declared part of the World Heritage by the UNESCO (United Nations). <BR> <BR>The riots were ugly on one side of the city while elsewhere in the city, beautiful people from all the Americas were enjoying warm friendships with the residents of the city! <BR> <BR>Quebec City has always been safe and still is! <BR> <BR>Joie de vivre easy and not expensive (here the US dollar buys $1.50 Canadian!). <BR> <BR>The day after the end of the Summit, the city had regained its beauty as a clean city! The ugly wall, the graffitis, etc. had disappeared to the joy of the people! Quebec City had a feeling of fresh air and charm again! <BR> <BR>For you, dear Friends from all over the world! <BR> <BR>Welcome! Willkommen! Bienvenidos! Bienvenue!