Quebec City over Spring Break

Nov 27th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Quebec City over Spring Break

My husband and I plan to take a trip over Spring Break, right now we think Quebec City would be a good choice. Should we plan to spend 5-6 days in the city, or branch out? We want a relaxing trip, and I would like to hear as much French as possible. I have considered the island of St. Pierre for the linguistic experience, but I think that would be too expensive and too far to add to the trip right now. Any ideas?
Nov 27th, 2009, 08:15 PM

rachelcraig - I'm wondering where you call home. What time of the year is "Spring Break" for you? That term can stretch over about 2 months depending upon the context. I would encourage you to check some of the climate statistics for QC and ensure you are getting what you expect.

QC is beautiful no matter the season, but I wouldn't want you to come with inappropriate expectations. If you want a relaxing trip, as you state, you can most certainly get it in QC. There are lots of opportunities available if you have the desire to explore. You will certainly hear lots of French.

With respect to your comment about St. Pierre, I assume you are referring to the two islands of St. Pierre et Miquelon, a short distance from the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. You may know this already, but these islands are not part of Canada. They belong to France. When you step foot on these islands you are on soverign French territory and all of the laws of France apply. You will certainly hear French on these islands too. I don't believe you will have particularly nice weather on St. Pierre over a Spring Break. I would think a summer vacation would be better. St. Pierre would be relaxing - but more because there are many fewer options compared to QC than any other reason.

I would not recommend trying to do the two sites over the 5 - 6 days you have alloted.

Best wishes for a wonderful break.

tC
Mar 9th, 2010, 04:36 PM

techerCanada~I will be in QC mid-April.....I did check the weather statistics, so I'm prepared for that...my question is what kind of activities are available? The guidebooks and posts here on fodors rave about the sledding and skiing in winter; the spectacular autumns; and the gorgeous summers. I haven't yet found any references to what appears to be the inbetween season.

Thanks!
Mar 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM

tenthumbs - I haven't been to QC during mid-April, so I can't really talk from experience. I am sure some of the ski hills will still be operating, but conditions will likely not be ideal. Outdoor activities will really depend on how cool or warm the weather is.

Other activities abound in QC. There are horse and carriage rides (caleche) available, but they are costly (about $60 I believe). Historical sites and museums abound if that interests you. QC is very much a walking city (but there are lots of hills), with many little stores and attractions in the narrow streets. Two very good websites that might help are: http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/quebec0.html and http://www.quebecregion.com/en.

If they are still operating and you have the chance to visit a sugar shack, I would encourage you to do so. Northern California just doesn't make maple syrup. If you have further questions, please post them here and I (and others) will try to help.

best wishes

tC
Mar 10th, 2010, 09:18 AM

thanks! I would very much like to visit a sugar shack~where can I get information? I was just curious if there would be much snow left or any snow related activities such as the toboggan at Chateau Frontenac, if the parks would be accessible and whether or not the ferry to Ile Orleans would be running. I am going with someone who is attending a conference, and I'm sure it's because it's during the off season.....I find it funny that there's really no mention of this in between season in any of the guidebooks! Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!
Mar 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM

tenthumbs - I would think if you email either of the websites listed above with specific questions about attractions that might be open in April, they could direct you properly. I suspect "la glissade de la terrase" (the toboggan at the CF) will been in a melting state by mid-April. The ferry to Levis (directly across from QC) runs all year. I believe you can drive to Ile d'Orleans, so there would be no need for a ferry. Parks would certainly be accessible, but may not have many touristy attractions at this time.

Regardless of what may "not" be available, there are loads of wonderful attractions that will still be open and entertaining.

tC