Quebec City or Montreal?

Jun 16th, 1999, 09:04 AM
Cindy

Quebec City or Montreal?

I am taking my 22 year-old niece on a long week-end trip. Our first choice of a destination would be Paris, finances will not permit that so we are thinking of either of these cities as a interesting alternative.
We hope to spend our couple of days walking and maybe on a boat sightseeing tour. We both like the "old world" charms and not the big city atmosphere. We will have time for one museum, I think. I am also looking for a B&B or small inn type place to stay that would be in the heart of the old town.
I hope this is enough info to get some help making a decision!
Merci!

Jun 16th, 1999, 06:12 PM
Mary

Definitely, Quebec City. Paris away from Paris. We were there last year. We stayed at the Hotel Manoir Victoria, a Fodor's recommended hotel (which by the way, was the first time we EVER followed guidebook recommendations); needless to say, we were quite pleased.

Jun 16th, 1999, 06:35 PM
TC

I would second that, in a heartbeat.

Montreal is more cosmopolitan and modern.

Quebec City just exudes old-world charm, romance, and grace. For an interesting look at the history (in 30 minutes or less!), try the Quebec Experience. It's a 3D, interactive show, the likes of which I've never seen before. And I believe it's only around $6.00 Canadian (which is probably 2 rocks and 3 seashells to you folks!).

Serge Bruyere is a fantastic restaurant (upstairs more formal than down).

You really can't go wrong with places to stay, the city is chock full of charming, well-priced places. Try to get one that is "inside the walls" of old Quebec City. That way everything will be within walking distance for you.

Enjoy!

T

Jun 20th, 1999, 07:53 PM
Rick

Qubec City for sure! Old world charm, woundeful people, great great food and amazing sceanery. Montreal is nice, but much more big city feel! Enjoy!

Jun 26th, 1999, 09:29 PM
Maureen

We just returned from a week in Quebec City, our first visit there, and we loved it. It definitely has old world charm and grace. So many nice restaurants and quaint hotels in old Quebec. We stayed at the Chateau Frontenace, which is rather expensive, but behind it there is a street full of nicely kept small hotels for about $60/night. You can take a whale watching cruise from Quebec City, or drive a couple of hours north and catch a less expensive, shorter cruise from Rivierre du Loupe or two other spots. In any event, Quebec City is a must-see.

Jul 1st, 1999, 03:28 PM
cindy

Thanks so much for the replies. It turns out I couldn't use my frequent flyer miles to get to Quebec on the days we needed to travel - so we are off to Montreal! I think it will be just as interesting, maybe not as quaint but we will make do! Thanks for your suggestions!

Jul 2nd, 1999, 11:49 AM
fran

Hope I'm not too late. If you are renting a car, you can easily drive to Quebec City from Montreal.