Proposal locations in Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to propose in Vancouver in August while we're on our vacation. Any ideas as to romantic places to propose in Vancouver? I'd rather a place with few people around, instead of somewhere like a restaurant with many people around. Any ideas are appreciated!
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:30 PM

I'd be up on Grousse Mountain, with a stunning view of the valley down below, in the evening, sometime near to sunset.

There is a restaurant up there, where most of the people will be.

But you could be outside, with few bystanders.

If you're talking "IN Vancouver" (vs. the outlying areas)... then that is the first spot to consider.

You drive 5 or 10 minutes away from city center, then take a gondola car up the side of a mountain, where the temperature can be 30 or 40 degrees lower than what you left below.

The views are stunning, and it is a ski resort in the winter months.

Congratulations!

Old May 10th, 2005, 08:54 PM

Whytecliff Park is one of the most romantic "hidden gem" type parks in the city. It's actually located in West Vancouver nearby Horseshoe Bay - about a half hour drive from downtown, but one of the most beautiful drives in the area if you take Marine Drive to get there.

The park is tiny, but it's intimate, with tiny manicured gardens, giant cedars, and a little lookout overlooking Howe Sound, the local islands, and the Tantalus mountain range. There are beautiful sunsets at dusk, as the park faces south-west over the water.

Here's some useful info on the park:

http://www.westvancouver.net/article...2012&c=766

Here are some photos:

http://www.seethenorthshore.com/whyte/whyte.htm

Whytecliff would only be ideal if you had a car and you want a really majestic panoramic backdrop. If you don't have a car and want to stick around closer to downtown Vancouver, perhaps try Queen Elizabeth Park. It's just south of downtown off Cambie Street at W 33rd Ave. A lot of couples get their wedding pictures done in the sunken gardens, but there are many beautiful lookout points over the city skyline, and areas throughout the park which would be dreamlike for proposing (in my opinion!)

Here's some info: http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/park...ueenelizabeth/

Some photos:

http://www.triumf.ca/vancouver_images/queen.html
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:14 PM

I think Howe Sound is stunning and shouldn't be missed. My husband and I were disappointed with Grouse Mountain last visit. Maybe the light wasn't the best that day... but the restaurant was shabby too.
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the ideas! Been very helpful. I looked at Grouse Mtn and Queen Elizabeth Park, but I think that I've decided on one of the beaches, as my future fiancee is a big "beach person". I like the idea of Spanish Banks or Jericho Beach. I know they are right next to each other. What are the differences between the two? Which has a better view of the skyline? Which is better at dusk/sunset? One one be better than the other, or should I just go with the flow and just find the best spot that night?
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:39 PM

They're the same beach, in my opinion... Spanish Banks is the western end of the beach, while Jericho is the eastern side of the beach. Jericho Beach has houses on the other side of the street from it, whereas Spanish Banks has a cliff face on the other side of the road. They both essentially offer the same views of the sunset and skyline, one is about a mile closer to the city, whereas, the other one is a mile closer to the sunset.

I'd go with the flo...
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:40 PM

I proposed to my wife years ago in August on a trail in Whistler. We still visit the trail every couple years to renew the memories, and have a chuckle with the kids.

Brandywine Falls near Whistler would be a nice spot.

If you could steal a quiet moment, Queen Elizabeth park would be a good place. You might want to check these two articles on Whistler/QE Park.
www.findfamilyfun.com/qepark.htm
www.findfamilyfun.com/whistler.htm
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:06 PM

If you are looking for a place that doesnt have many people I would consider somewhere other than Spanish Banks or Jericho. They will be PACKED in August.
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

will they be packed on a Thursday night?? I thought I read somewhere that Spanish Banks has considerably less people than some beaches like Kits, etc.
Old May 14th, 2005, 03:42 PM

By sunset on a Thursday you should be fine. Spanish Banks will give you the most privacy, IMO, and is the nicest place for such an occasion.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Onour ten year anniversary I took my husband on a surprise hot air balloon ride. I wish I could remember the information but I think I found it on fodors as well. Good luck and I hope she says yes..
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

OK, this is a wierd question, but it's essential to my plan to propose as far as transferring the ring and a shell with a note it in from a bag into my pocket without her seeing.

Is there a bathroom at Spanish Banks?
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Yes three of them with rustic shower facilities spaced about 250 yards apart. They also have take out food services and life guard stations attached.