Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Problems with winter in the Canadian Rockies!

Nov 21st, 2008, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi, we've seen so many pictures about beautiful blue lakes in the Canadian rockies, but can anyone tell me if these lakes are worth seeing in mid-december where the lakes may be frozen? I mean, we will probably see a token one or two, but should we see more than that?

Another problem I've encountered in trip planning is the Road Closures! I would very much like to drive right up to Moraine Lake, but the road is closed in winter D: Is there anyway we can get to see is without skiing (we'll be learning skiing for the first time the week after we leave Banff)?

And are winter gear (specifically winter boots, skiing goggles/sunglasses, ski pants) in Alberta cheap? I'm from the equatorial tropics so these stuff tend to be very pricey in my home country.
Nov 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM

The lakes might be frozen, but the mountains can be at their most beautiful in the winter when covered by snow. You don't have to ski to enjoy winters in the Rocky Mountains. As far as price on clothing - I guess cheap is all in the eye of the beholder. You could buy top quality and spend thousands or go to an outlet store and spend a couple of hundred Canadian dollars.
Nov 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM

What type of skiing are you learning, downhill or cross-country? In either case you can't see Moraine Lake in the winter at all.

The road is closed because parts of the road are crossed by avalanche chutes (areas where avalanches are more likely).

There's cross-country skiing on the road until you hit the barrier (about 8 kms) where the avalanche zone starts. You can't ski all the way to the lake. Also, 16 kms round trip would probably be way too much for someone who just learned to ski to do.
Nov 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Ok thanks so much for telling us this! Pity that we won't be able to see Moraine Lake, but at least we won't waste the trip there!
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Lake Louise is absolutely spectacular mid Winter.