Prince Rupert to Jasper - Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking a camping trip from Prince Rupert to Jasper - We've allocated 5 days. I know it's fairly tight, but we're pretty fast at getting up and breaking camp in the morning.

I was just wanting suggestions on things to see. Is it worth the trip to Kimano? What about the trip to the lava beds?

I tend to be drawn more to natural wonders and "engineering marvels" - the spiral tunnels fascinate me, for example, than I am to native-Canadian culture, but I do have an open mind. I'd definitely like to see _some_ genuine totem poles etc. at some point.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Just a follow to my previous question -- I see that Stewart BC is not that far off that track, and that the Bear Glacier is visible from the road. I've never seen a tidewater glacier before. Is it worth the detour?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:42 AM

The trip to Stewart is definitely worth it, if you can spare the time. We went there in the late autumn and found the area beautiful and isolated. I'm also fascinated by landscapes and the Stewart region struck a chord with me (as does the whole Prince Rupert region: land of mists, rivers, mountains...)

En route from Stewart you will pass native villages where you can see totem poles. One such village - I don't have a map to hand - has a name something like Kitwangool. You can't miss it: you'll drive right past it.

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Vorkuta,
Mist, rivers and mountains is the whole reason I'm going.

I'm a Calgarian and I've wanted to drive the Yellowhead for a long time. Our plan is to drive straight through to Vancouver in one day, drive to Port Hardy in another and then cruise to Price Rupert. From there we can make our way back home in a relatively relaxed manner.

I'm looking forward to the wilderness and wonder of northern BC. Should be a nice change from Banff, Waterton, and Kananaskis, around Calgary.

Thanks to any other suggestions floating around out there!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:00 AM

We did a trip something similar to yours about four years ago. We live in Vancouver, so drove to Port Hardy (an easy one-day trip), stayed overnight in Port Hardy and caught the early morning ferry to Prince Rupert. One tip: be sure to book a cabin for the ferry to Prince Rupert. Otherwise you have to spend the whole 16 hours sitting in the lounge. We had a cabin (it really wasn't expensive) and since I had a cold at the time, it was lovely to retreat there and lie down and read when I needed a break from all that scenery!

We had originally booked just one night in Prince Rupert, but ended up staying for two. There was a great deal to see in that area, and it was our B&B hostess who recommended the side-trip to Stewart (we wouldn't have thought of it otherwise). So we spent one night in Stewart, and then over the next eight days drove back to Vancouver, stopping in Smithers, Prince George, Williams Lake and Cache Creek. Of course you can do it in much less time, but we wanted to take the slow road.

The trip was a real highlight for us and it was wonderful to see parts of BC that were new to us, even though we've both lived here sixteen years. There's a lot to be said for southern BC, but really I'd like to go back to the Prince George region...all those mists, rivers and mountains, and very little traffic (at least in the autumn).

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks again for the suggestions, Vorkuta! Just a couple more questions:
What is the border situation like when you move from Stewart to Hyder? Do you even have to check in?

Secondly, did you drive up to see the Salmon Glacier? What was the road like? Was it worth the extra drive?

If you want to contact me off the board, my email is [email protected]

Thanks so much!

Tyler
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 01:24 PM

The border crossing at Stewart/Hyder (not sure whether I'm spelling Hyder correctly; no map to hand) was a breeze. It was really just one guy sitting there in a swivel chair. We stayed in Alaska about ten minutes, just so we could say we'd been in Alaska, and then headed back to Stewart. To be sure, that was several years ago but I can't imagine that security has been drastically tightened at that crossing!

The road up to Stewart was excellent (we went in late October). If you've got the time, I'd definitely say the trip to Stewart and the glacier is worth it. It's so different "up there" from over-civilized, built-up Vancouver. The drive from Prince Rupert to Stewart and then back down to Smithers remains the highlight of our trip, for me. I'd go back at the drop of a hat. I really felt that I was "getting away from it all." And it gave me a new insight into life in other parts of B.C.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 03:26 AM

Are there any mt.passes on this road? I love views but not from a high steep mt. pass. What kind driving road is the road from Prince Rupert to Jasper?
Also, is the ferry from Port Hardy a BC Ferry?
Thanks!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:00 AM

The road from Prince Rupert to Prince George (including the detour to Stewart) is hilly but not mountainous. There are no white-knuckle stretches. I actually found it very peaceful. (For white-knuckle driving in British Columbia, you need to go further south or east). I haven't driven from Prince George to Jasper, so can't comment on that; maybe another poster has done that route.

The ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert is indeed run by BC Ferries.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:05 AM

thanks for the info...we just returned from Vancouver via VIA Rail. We are already planning our return trip for next year!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 06:06 AM

In Prince Rupert be sure to visit the Cannery! It's not operating but is set up for tours. It was a whole way of life. Then go to Stewart/Hyder for lunch and then aim to camp in Hazelton by 'Ksan. They have a beautiful campground there, if I remember correctly, by the river. 'Ksan a mock-up of an old First Nations village and they have programs there during the summer. You can see the totems there and drive up into Kispiox (12 miles) to see some of the very old ones still standing. Those are the most interesting places to stop at IMHO.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, Ginocat!

Would you suggest that the trip down to Kimano is worth it? I guess it would add an extra day, so it would be
Day 1
Prince Rupert lightning tour (cannery,etc),
Drive to Kimano & camp

Day 2
Kimano - Stewart - Hazleton & camp

Day 3, 4, 5:
Hazleton to Jasper

So is it worth it to spend the extra day for Kimano?

Thanks for the opinions!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 09:19 AM

No need to visit Kemano-you seen one eco disaster you seen 'em all.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Is it so bad that it will just make me mad to see it?

Aren't there some nice fijords and waterfalls to see there?
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 06:05 AM

No, skip it. Really nothing there. You won't get particularily angry but there's nothing there to see to warrant shorting time spent elsewhere.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Gah. I wrote Kemano when I meant Kitimat. Is there any point to visiting Kitimat? That's what I really want to know!
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Actually I knew that's what you meant and my answer still stands. Don't bother. You'll waste time and miss seeing things that are important.