Reload this Page >

Please help plan visit to Vancouver.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 02:14 PM
laurie

My husband and I are flying to Vancouver for our 10th anniversary. We plan to go to Vancouver, Victoria and Whistler. We will be there from Sat. to Sat. in mid June. How many nights should we stay in each area? Help me plan our days. Thanks.

Old May 24th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Island Girl

What types of things do you and your husband like to do Laurie? Are you renting a car? <BR> <BR>In Vancouver the highlights for me were Stanley Park and Granville Island, but there are some great museums that we just didn't have time for. In Victoria you must go to the Royal BC Museum...the native exhibit is particularly good. I haven't been to Whistler but I'm sure someone here who has will be happy to help.

Old May 25th, 2001, 07:48 PM
Amanda

This is my friendly suggestion, assumes money is not relevant. From a past trip: <BR> <BR>2 days/3 nights in Vancouver <BR>Take a greyhound bus to familiarize yourself with the city and get an overview. <BR> <BR>One day in Stanley Park, walk around, visit the aquarium. <BR> <BR>Dinner at the William Tell restaurant. (Swiss food and quite good) Veal dishes, fondue is fun to share) The three homemade icecreams for dessert are yummy. <BR> <BR>Breakfast at the Pan Pacific Hotel near the Five Sails Water Front (like it talks about in the Fodors book) <BR> <BR>China Town, walk around and explore. Get Dim Sum at 11am <BR> <BR>Forget Whistler unless you are mad skier types and need to see the mountain. <BR> <BR>3 days in Victoria/ 4 nights in Victoria <BR> <BR>A must for fun, sun and romance! I am convinced you MUST SPEND YOUR TIME IN VICTORIA! <BR> <BR>Stay at Abigail's Hotel in Victoria. Simply lovely! Romantic candles, scrumptious breakfasts and just wonderful! <BR> <BR>Goto High Tea at the Empress Hotel. Simply splendid. Cost about $49 per person but dreamy. <BR> <BR>Take a walk in the rose garden just outside the hotel. Should be in full bloom. <BR> <BR>Have dinner a Paliachi's, a great, and close tabled, Italian restaurant south of the Eaton Center. M-W at 8:30 features live music. <BR> <BR>Stroll the harbour at night. <BR> <BR>Take the Scenic Drive described in any hotel hard copy book on Victoria. Very beautiful. <BR> <BR>Watch a sunrise together! <BR> <BR>Stoll the city streets. <BR> <BR>Goto Buchart gardens. Amazing! <BR> <BR>Spend a romantic evening at one of the finest restaurants worldwide at the Sooke Inn (may not be exact name). <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:40 PM
JoAnne

My husband and I are also planning almost the same trip as Laurie in August. I haven't made any hotel reservations yet (only airline). I was thinking of Vancouver for a couple of days and the bulk of the trip in Victoria. <BR>Amanda: But was wondering why you say not to go to Whistler. I thought of taking a drive there for a couple of days. Maybe go whitewater rafting (never done that before). We don't ski but figured sinced in the summer, they'll be no snow. Is Whistler not worth the trip? <BR>Also, I need suggestions on inexpensive places to stay near safe areas and heart of the city. Feel free to e-mail me. Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 08:25 PM
A.M.

I also don't know why the previous poster dislikes Whistler. It is lovely in the summer and there IS glacier skiing on Blackcomb. The drive between Vancouver and Whistler is very scenic. You can hike, swim in pristine lakes, mountain bike, golf, enjoy great food and just stroll around. We have been many times in the summer and like to stay at The Aspens on Blackcomb (www.aspensonblackcomb.com) just up from The Chateau Whistler and less expensive. As usual, it all depends on what you want out of your vacation. <BR>A.M.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 09:56 PM
Robyn

Speaking as a local 21 year old Vancouver resident who has lived here her entire life... perhaps I'll give you my opinions. <BR> <BR>Vancouver: The best website to really give you an idea of what you can do in Vancouver is at www.vancouver.hm <BR> <BR>Spend one morning at Granville Island, located underneath the Granville Street Bridge. Take an Aqua Bus (www.aquabus.bc.ca) across from downtown Vancouver to Granville Island for about $2 per person. Explore the Granville Market, a huge marketplace under one roof, with fresh flowers, fruit, vegetables, pasta, cheese, meat, chocolate, fish, bakeries, coffee, candy, etc. It has a very vibrant atmosphere. Wander around the alleys of Granville Island, past the street entertainment, through the art galleries, Emily Carr Institute of Art, the unique shops, the cafes, the restaurants, etc. <BR> <BR>Head back to downtown Vancouver, and walk along the seawall, past English Bay, to Stanley Park. www.seestanleypark.com has beautiful photos of this park. Walk the entire seawall, go to the Vancouver Aquarium, walk to Brockton Point totem poles, Lost Lagoon, Prospect Point, or discover the many trails and gardens. <BR> <BR>Spend the evening exploring the restaurants and cafes up Denman and Robson Street. Robson Street will have all the trendy shops. <BR> <BR>For restaurant ideas, go to http://www.vanmag.com/0106/dining.html <BR>http://www.vanmag.com/diningout/westcoast.html <BR> <BR>Gastown is the oldest part of Vancouver. While there are touristy shops, there's also plenty of unique restaurants and places to explore in the sidestreets. <BR> <BR>Yaletown is the newly-created neighbourhood in the south-east part of downtown, where they turned the old warehouse district into funky studios and boutiques. There's some great casual restaurants in this area with fun patio seating (ie: Yaletown Brewing Co.) Also in this neighbourhood are some really expensive clothing shops... <BR> <BR>Davie Street (nearby English Bay) is Vancouver's gay district and has a really fun energetic vibe at night. Great for eating out at cafes. <BR> <BR>A drive over to the mountains to Grouse Mountain and take the gondola up (for a fee). Or drive up to the top of Cypress Mountain or Mount Seymour for amazing views of the city (for free). <BR> <BR>Capilano Suspension Bridge is located by Grouse, but it's touristy and it's a rip off (they charge you for crossing a bridge). Lynn Canyon Park, a quick drive down the highway from Capilano, has more trails and park to explore, and their suspension bridge is free. It has less of a Disney feel to it too. <BR> <BR>Head over to Kitsilano Beach for a romantic evening stroll along the water. <BR> <BR>If you enjoy museums, head over to the UBC campus to the Museum of Anthropology, the leading collections of Pacific Northwest native artifacts (totem poles, masks, etc). Many movies have filmed in this museum because of its beautiful location overlooking the water. <BR> <BR>Spend an hour or two at the Vancouver <BR>Art Gallery, and learn about the famous BC artist Emily Carr. There are also other exhibits in this art museum, all are quite interesting. <BR> <BR>Head down to Steveston, in Richmond, to experience a historical fishing town. It's really the only quaint riverside village in the area, with restaurants and cafes located on the wharf, fresh fish sold off the boats, the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historical site Museum, and plenty of great seafood restaurants and shops. This is also the only area in Greater Vancouver where you can take a boat whale watching. <BR> <BR>If you enjoy gardens and parks (and have already spent time at Stanley Park), head over to Van Dusen Gardens, or Queen Elizabeth Park. <BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 09:56 PM
Robyn

(part 2) <BR> <BR>Victoria: <BR> <BR>Do the tourist thing and visit the Empress Hotel, walk down Government Street to the shops, and be sure to visit the Royal BC Museum. This is the most impressive museum in this part of Canada. Craigdarroch Castle is worth a visit, as well visit Beacon Hill Park. I know April (a regular who posts to Fodors) knows Victoria well, so I'll let her add more suggestions! <BR> <BR>Whistler: The village in Whistler technically is a city, so you can find all types of restaurants and shops here. Whistler is also an expensive world class ski resort, so the crowds will reflect that. You could literally spend hours and hours exploring the village alone. In June, take a gondola up to the top of Whistler mountain and do some hiking or site-seeing. Go to the nearby lakes and walk the trails for a scenic view. If you're into golf, there are various golf courses in this area... many of which the movie stars play at when they're in town. <BR> <BR>Anyhow... those are just some suggestions. If you're looking for a quaint little city, spend more time in Victoria. If you're looking for more city life, spend more time in Vancouver. If you're looking to spend more time out by natural surroundings, spend more time at Whistler. Without sounding biased, Vancouver would probably have the most to offer out of the three, but it completely depends on what kind of anniversary vacation you're looking for.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 12:23 AM
April

I think Victoria's been covered quite well, Robyn. I might only add the view from Mt. Doug, and perhaps a visit to Hatley Park (the one with the castle not the cemetery). Whereas the main feature of Craigdarroch Castle is the interior not the grounds, the opposite is true of Hatley, which was owned by the same family. The castle is usually closed to visitors but the grounds are lovely and it's free. <BR> <BR>It's hard to say not knowing what interests a person. They might enjoy walking through the forest at Goldstream Park, or to the waterfall and beach at Witty's Lagoon, taking a picnic lunch to Sidney Spit (via ferry) or to Island View Beach, walking the loop trail at Swan Lake or around the Cedar Hill golf course, taking a harbour taxi tour, poking through the shops in Oak Bay, etc., etc. Or maybe they'd rather go horseback riding or whale watching or none of the above. <BR> <BR>It's too bad Long Beach is so far because I think a few days in Victoria can become boring for some. <BR> <BR>I haven't done any hiking around Whistler and may therefore have a shallow view but I think it's worth going there, if only for a day, for scenery on the way. Or at least drive through West Vancouver. <BR> <BR>Amanda is probably referring to the Sooke Harbour House.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 09:09 PM
Bonnie

You have received a lot of wonderful insight into Van. & Victoria but I would like to add a little more about Whistler. We have spent time there winter and summer. It's difficult to explain how powerful it is to be surrounded by magnificent mountains, fresh air, happy young people, few cars, little concrete. It is a place where you get up in the morning, look for one of the many restaurants where people are outside enjoying themselves, & decide where to walk to since most of the village is car-free. You can hike, bicycle, horseback ride, etc. or just relax. Have lunch in Christina's on top of the mountain. Hope you go, it's wonderful.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:08 PM
GBelle

Robyn, <BR>Great itinerary suggestions. <BR>Which of the above would you recommend for a family of 4 with 2 boys (10&14) and 2 days in Vancouver before boarding a cruise ship? <BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Bonnie

Definitely do the North Vancouver attractions: Capilano Suspension Bridge, Hoover Dam (take a picnic if possible), and Grouse Mountain. My sons also love the Aquarium in Stanley Park as well as renting bikes to ride around the Seawall(you can take a shortcut back thru the tennis court area if they're tired.) Of course, you should all have good raincoats so that you can enjoy the sights rain or shine. Eating at Bridges at Granville Island would probably work out well altho' the White Spot is a Vancouver institution. Have fun.

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Shirley

You HAVE to go to Whistler! We live in Vancouver and were thinking of purchasing a time share because it is such a nice place to visit summer or winter. In the summer there are lots of great hiking and biking trails. You can rent canoes or kayaks. The village itself is beautiful and well laid out. Lots of nice places to eat. You can take the gondola up the mountain, might spot a bear of two on the way up and even see snow when you get to the top. The view is wonderful. It is a clean, pristine place to visit. DON'T miss it. The drive up there from Vancouver on the sea to sky highway is also spectacular. Majestic mountains and waterfalls. Have fun.