Places not to miss.

Aug 22nd, 2000, 08:48 AM
Des

Places not to miss.

My wife and I are visiting Canada from the UK in mid September. We fly to Calgary, stay 1 night and collect a car for the next 7 days. 4 nights will be spent at the Rimrock Resort Hotel, in Banff and 3 nights at Chateau Jasper in Jasper. 2 days on the Rocky Mountaineer Train and finnish with 3 nights at the Sutton Place Hotel in Vancouver. This is our first visit to Canada and would welcome hands on recommendations for place not to miss at our various stops. Any information will be greatly received on this side of the water in anticipation of our trip.

Aug 22nd, 2000, 06:34 PM
FRAN

Banff is gorgeous and I would suggest you visit Lake Louise and the Chateau Lake Louise. While in Vancouver, definitely go over to Vancouver Island and spend at least a day in Victoria. These are two of my favorite places in Canada.

Aug 23rd, 2000, 07:39 AM
Bob Brown

I have visited that part of Canada some 7 times. We have approached it by flying to Calagary, Seattle, Great Falls, Montana, and Kalispell, Montana. Once we even drove up from Denver, but that is a long drive that I will not repeat.
Moraine Lake near Lake Louise is beautiful. In Jasper I would visit Mount Edith Cavell. The drive from Lake Louise to Jasper is a classic.
I would allow one full day at least for the drive because there are so many places to stop and admire the view.
Having driven all over that part of BC and Alberta, I have always wondered why people take the train. Why do I wonder?
Because of two factors:

1. The train route is often down in deep cuts, tunnels, and gorges, while the road goes over high passes that provide wonderful views. Viewing from the train is like looking up from the bottom of a hole.
2. You cannot get off of the train when you want to look around.

If you will describe the exact route the train follows, I will be glad to comment farther. I assume you go through Kamloops.

Aug 23rd, 2000, 09:39 PM
Betty Ann

From Jasper, drive south on the Icefields Parkway to Athabasca Falls. If I remember correctly, it's about 30 to 45 mins (better check with someone locally). It's on the right and the sign is not very big. But the falls are fantastic! You'll have a great view of the power of water.

Aug 24th, 2000, 04:14 PM
John

Hi, Des,
A couple of suggestions you'll probably get when you arrive, anyway.

In Jasper NP include a half day at least at Lake Maligne, including the enjoyable boat tour to Spirit Island, darling of all the calendar photographers.

We were at Lake Louise last week and it was engulfed in traffic and visitors, although still quite breathtaking. Morning visits are better so that the sun is shining on the glaciers instead of behind them. Same goes for Moraine Lake.

Our favorite souvenir shops were the Cows ice cream shop on the main drag in Banff, and the RCMP (Mounties) shop in Jasper, for a higher class of t-shirt and other chachkis. An important consideration when one has small relatives.

If you like hot springs and spa experiences, the Banff hot springs on the hill above the big hotel are beautiful, the Miette springs in Jasper while less beautiful, are accessed by a wonderful highway.

Lots of cars parked haphazardly on the edge of any road equals animals. Try not to hit the elk, or, worse, the elk-lovers. There are bighorn sheep in many parking lots, and yes, they are just as stupid as they look.

If you plan to walk into the hills or up valleys or mountains, don't forget that the elevations in the parks can be deceptively high - Banff and Jasper are under 4000 feet, but Moraine Lake, for example, is around 6000, and it may take you a day or two to become accustomed. Make noise to keep the critters away.

May not be your taste, but we were knocked out - pow - by Sami's Indian fusion restaurant, on Pendrell at Denman in Vancouver's west end (at the other end of Robson from the Sutton Place.) Barbecue turkey samosas? Osso Bucco vindaloo? Hoo boy.

Search this Thread