Search

Park Pass

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Park Pass

We will be arriving in Calgary very late on 10/2 and will be driving directly to Banff from the airport (arriving around 1:00am). Does anyone know if we need to have a park pass in advance, or can we pick one up somewhere that late, or do we wait until the next day? Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Park passes are purchased at the National Park gates, which are 2 minutes west of Canmore (and approximately 12 minutes away from Banff (the town). Don't worry, you won't miss them - they are arranged like a toll gate right on the highway.

Wherther you will be able to actually purchase one when you get there is another question. The National Parks staff are currently on strike. I haven't heard the latest news, but up until the last weekend they were on a rotating strike (all across Canada). So if there is no one at the gates you will be able to drive into the park for free. However, it would be wise to check in at the park office in Banff (it's rght on Banff Ave - the main street - easy to find) once you see that it is open.

(I'll check to see if there is more info available and report back here).
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 06:51 AM

OK - here's some more information:

Banff National Park gates and offices are open today (Sept 9th), and because they report on their strike action on a day to day basis, there is no information posted for tomorrow.

If there is no one at the gates when you arrive, you can purchase a park pass at the Park Centre on 224 Banff Avenue in Banff (the town). They are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the month of September.

Park fees are as follows:
$7 per day per adult
$14 per day for a family group
$89 for an annual pass (good for one year from time of purchase) for a family group.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

Since we won't be arriving in Banff until around 1:00am (park office will obviously be closed)should we just drive through the park gates and plan to get the pass the next morning? I just don't want to get in trouble for not having one if it's needed.

Now we just need to get all that rain to move out and order some sunny weather and we'll be all set.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 10:43 AM

I think that it should be fine to get the park pass the next day.

I was trying to remember if the Trans Canada highway park gates are open 24 hours a day or not - you know - they just may be open - it is quite a busy highway. We've travelled through the park gates all hours of the day and night (and in all seasons) and I don't ever recall having any problems.

Once you get to the park gates, if there is no one there, I'm sure that there will be a sign on the booth indicating what you should do.

As for the weather - oops!! - for the first time in. . . .hmmmm, I can't remember how many decades . . . there has been some SNOW over the past day - and it's way too early in the season for this - it is supposed to be gloriously sunny and clear and still warm!!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the info. We'll just wait and see what happens when we get to the park gate.

I will hope for the best as far as the weather is concerned. It has been a very unusual summer for us here in Wisconsin as well and quite a few trees are already showing off their fall colors. We still have three weeks before we leave for our trip so maybe that gloriously sunny weather will still shine on us.