Search

Packing Film?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 05:29 AM
funintwos

Packing Film?

What's the latest advice on packing film...checked in luggage, or carry-on? Or, carry-on but request hand checked? Does it matter if it's in the camera or the film canister? We're just photography novices, but don't want our vacation pictures ruined, either. <BR>Thanks!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 06:14 AM
Bob Brown

I put my film in a camera case and slide it through the x-ray. I don't think film below 800 ASA will respond much to x-rays. A professional might say I am wrong. The x-ray dose for checked luggage is usually stronger. <BR>If you have concerns, hand the film to the guard.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 05:51 PM
Donna

We've check and carried on 400 and 800MAX film, passing through the x-rays many times each way. Never a problem. We just toss it in anywhere it will fit.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 06:43 PM
Debbie

Have never had a problem with film (used or unused) being in the camera, or in a lead-lined pouch in my carry-on and/or camera bag. Wouldn't trust it to checked in luggage, but that's me.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 10:24 AM
rand

I used a lead pouch in my carryon once. I spoke with the x-ray operator and said that my film was in such pouch. He replied "no problem, we have a high setting, yup that's film" Now I don't bother with the extra weight.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 05:45 PM
fran

<BR>Everything I've read says to put the film in a plastic bag and hand it over instead of leaving it in carryon or checked luggage. When I travel with others, my pictures always seem to be alittle brighter and clearer so I'm convinced it's because the film is "protected". When I travel within the US, this is never a problem. However, in Europe they may insist that it go thru the X-ray. The other suggestion I've read is that it is easier on the film after you have exposed it.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 09:37 PM
Ralph

Be assured that you will NOT win when requesting that your film be "hand checked" no matter where you go. If you want to get through, everything, including your film, gets sent through. Not to worry, though. Your film will come out just fine, exposed or unexposed. Methinks the folks who sell those fancy bags are fooling everyone...