Oyster lovers to visit Vancouver

Sep 13th, 2019, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Oyster lovers to visit Vancouver

Coming to Vancouver next week for three days (Elton John farewell tour!) and looking to make a dent in the oyster supply in Vancouver. As oyster aficionados from central coastal Californians, we know this will be a great culinary adventure for us. We are staying downtown - so if you can recommend a great oyster bar, restaurant, etc nearby - we are hoping to hit at least two or three places.

We love raw bars, seafood restaurants, great places that locals love. Hit me up with your best ideas!
Sep 13th, 2019, 09:22 AM

Rodney's is really good, and I suggest you sit at the bar. There is a great selection that you can view from your seat, and they will grate fresh horseradish onto the platter of oysters. There is one in Yaletown and another in Gastown.

Aside from oysters, I love their steamed clams and clam chowder. You can watch them steam them right in front of you. And their scallop gallette (low tide menu) is pretty tasty, too.

https://www.rohvan.com/
Sep 13th, 2019, 09:54 AM

You’re in for some good eating. I’ve just returned from six nights in Vancouver with my two sons. I am a seafood aficionado, less so oysters. I can recommend Joe Fortes which was just around the corner from our hotel on Alberni. We wound up eating there on our first and last nights. We all loved the oysters, my son enjoyed his bone-in ribeye, and I was happy with my ling cod. Other standout items were the local trout and hangar steak at St. Lawrence, hot chocolate and sweet treats at Thierry, and black sesame gelato at Bella Gelateria on Cordova St.
Sep 13th, 2019, 11:16 AM

bon_voyage, our first favorite place in Vancouver was Joe Fortes! We love dining on the rooftop in fine weather. I've had some wonderful fish there.
Sep 13th, 2019, 02:19 PM

Sludick, we arrived at our hotel around 4:30 p.m.—it had taken an hour (it was the Sunday of Labor Day weekend) to get through customs at the airport. We were looking for something good but also easy to get to for that first night, and came across Joe Fortes’s by happenstance. We had no reservations and it was mobbed when we got there around 7:30. After not too long a wait, we were seated outside at the bar-type seating facing the street, with a platter of oysters tasting as though they’d just come from the sea.

Last edited by bon_voyage; Sep 13th, 2019 at 02:30 PM.