Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Overnight Layover - Toronto Airport (YYZ)

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mom and I have about a seven hour stop in Toronto en route from London to LAX. We arrive in Toronto at midnight and our flight leaves at 7am. Are there concessions etc in the airport 24 hours or is it worth getting a hotel for a couple of hours once we have gotten bags, cleared customs/immigration, etc?

The last time I flew to Toronto was about 6 years ago, so I am unfamiliar with the airport...any assistance is appreciated.
thanks!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:18 PM

try this link for info

http://www.gtaa.com/
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks Hawaiiantraveler!

I have looked on the webpage and contaced the Toronto Airport. i am just wondering if anyone has had this type of stop themselves and their experience...or if anyone has "real-life" knowledge about the airport as I am not familiar with it.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 03:38 AM

Here's your best source of info about overnighting at YYZ:

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/canada/toronto.htm

Keep in mind the fact that you have to clear US Customs and Immigration in Toronto at the airport. This can add anywhere from 10 minutes to over an hour to the normally lengthy security/baggage screening. Best case - about 15-20 minutes for both. Worst case (not even "worst-worst case, just "crowded day worst case") - about 90 minutes. Customs and Immigration usually work efficiently and open as many wickets as possible if it's crowded, but the lines can still be very long.

Which terminals are you flying into and out of?
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Kate W,

We fly into Termminal 1 and out of Terminal 2 in Toronto. Thanks for the link--interesting to hear actual experiences. Instead of the "hassle" of getting to the Sheraton, getting settled and then having to head to the airport a couple of hours later, my mom wants to just pull out a deck of cards, grab a coffee and pull an all - nighter, but I wanted to make sure that we could at least be marginally comfortable!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:45 AM

If it were my mom, I'd strongly encourage her to get the hotel. It's not fun sitting up (or sleeping on the floor or benches) for hours in the middle of the night.

In fact, even if she says no, I would book it behind her back and only tell her last minute. You'd be damned tired after a long flight from London.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 03:55 PM

I have taken that late flight back from London (AC 859 I presume) and can assure you that you will be very tired by the time you get to Toronto. Midnight in Toronto is 5 AM in London. A nice hotel bed will be very welcome. Since my own bed was only a taxi ride away I have no idea what is open at the airport in the wee hours.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Very little will be open. The airport is not 24 hour and will be deserted. I'm not certain if you'll be able to get something from a snack bar - the shops will all be closed.

I strongly suggest a hotel room - you'll be able to get a bit of rest and freshen up for your next leg. If you pick a good hotel they may even have a coffee maker in the room and you can play some cards in comfort.

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the responses! Although the airport has informed me that they do have 24-hour concessions, the points about fatigue after trip/flight are well take and i agree that it will probably be best to have the option of a bed if even for a few hours! i am going to go ahead and book at the Sheraton that is in one of the sirport terminals.