Ottawa on Dec. 25th

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 12:18 PM
me

Ottawa on Dec. 25th

My husband, FIL, SIL and BIL will be coming to Ottawa to spend the night this Dec. 25th. Is there any chance of the canal being frozen over enough to skate? We will be dining out and are looking for a good place within walking distance of the C.Lauier that will abtually remain open. It can be anything within a mile or so as we can deal with the cold. I have eaten at Tucker's Marketplace and have always wondered about the fondue place downstairs. Is it good? How expensive? I had thought about doing them just as a dessert. Not looking for a fancy dinner or to spend alot. Dinners in 10-15 american price range. Anything else you would rec. would be great. Two of the five have never been to Ottawa before.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:33 AM
BBT

The canal is unlikely to be open for Christmas. That's not to say it is impossible for it to be, but unlikely, given the weather patterns over the past years.

I suggest that you hope for it to be open, but plan for it not to be, so you're not disappointed.

If you are in the area of the Chateau & Byward Market you should be able to find reasonable dining options, as it is considered a tourist area and retail/restaurant hours in the area are more permissive.

Sorry I can't give better suggestions for dining within walking distance. The Market is full of restaurants, as you know from eating at Tuckers. You should be able to find something.

Good luck & have fun.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 12:15 PM
Judy

Depends what type of food you would like but many restaurants will be closed Christmas Day. Check the Ottawa Citizen for local restaurant reviews online at www.ottawacitizen.com. One of our favourites is Mama Grazzi's for Italian - great food, nice location in the Market, and wonderful service. Have fun.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 03:49 PM
DS

I'd second Mama Grazzi's.

If you like Indian, Haveli's is pretty good.

Here are some links you might find useful: http://www.byward-market.com/
http://www.whereottawa.com/

Best to check with the restaurant(s) in advance to see if they're open on Dec 25th.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Rick

If you're staying at the Chateau Laurier you can be sure that Wilfreds Restaurant will be open. It's a 4+ star retaurant located in the hotel. A meal for two should run you slightly over $100 Cdn. If you prefer to spend less, Zoe's is also at the hotel.

If neither of these suit you, there should be lots of restaurants still open in the Market but I'm sure they will close by 7PM-8PM.

As for the Canal, I agree with the others. Unlikely that it will be frozen enough to skate on.