Reload this Page >

One way car rental from Quebec City to Albany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Dayna

I will be flying into Quebec City and would like to rent a car to drive from Quebec to Montreal and then through Vermont (departing from Albany, New York). I am having trouble reserving a one way car rental between Canada and the US. The rental companies either do not offer a one way rental or the cost is astronomical ($131 USD per day)! Does anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking about taking a train from Montreal to Burlington, Vermont and then renting a car there or renting a car in Canada and turning it in at the Vermont border. Would anyone know if there is a direct train from Montreal to Burlington?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 03:02 AM
Sam

There is no train from Montreal to Burlington and there is no place to turn your car in in the border. Sorry

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Louis

The Montreal - Boston Greyhound bus stops in Burlington (VT).<BR><BR>If you absolutely want to take the train, the Montreal - NYC Amtrak Vermonter service takes you from Montreal to St. Albans (VT) by bus and then to Burlington by train (only 30 a min ride).<BR><BR>See: www.amtrak.com/trains/timetable/p55.pdf

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Ben

Dayna,<BR><BR>I live in Albany. Amtrak runs the Adirondack, daily direct train service between Montreal and Albany. It's kind of a long ride - leaves Montreal at 9:50 AM and arrives here at 5:00 PM - but it's squeezed between Lake Champlain and the Adirondack Mountains, so the scenery is gorgeous. Taxi service to the Albany airport is available at the train station. According to Amtrak's Web site, current one-way fare is $41. If you can forgo the idea of driving through Vermont, this might make the most sense for you.<BR><BR>Hope this helps. Ben

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Gina

Dayna, there is another option you may want to consider. <BR>Take a train from Montreal (9:50 am) to Port Kent, NY (arrives I think at noon). You have to have a reservation because this a stop is on demand only.<BR>$20.00<BR><BR>It stops at the ferry terminal in Port Kent. Well, it is one minute walk to the ferry. It runs every hour and a cost for a foot passanger is $3.50<BR>In one hour you will be in Burlington, VT and there is no problem renting a car. You may call car rental companies and find out which one is willing to pick you up from the ferry. I know that the Enterprise does it. Burlington has all major car rental companies.<BR>The one hour trip on the ferry is very scenic <BR><BR>www.amtrak.com <BR>www.ferries.com

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:12 PM
r-travels

Beware that the Amtrak "Adirondack" from NYC-Montreal will be using buses between Albany and Montreal sometime this summer, due to track work. I'm sorry that I don't have the dates, but please look into it if that mode of travel is important to you.