NS, NB & PEI roadtrip and camping suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are extending our Atlantic Seaboard trip up to NS, NB,and PEI. And were needing help with the best place to tent/car camp for families (we have three kids, two are younger). That would be a good central location to setup a base. And how many weeks will it take to explore the area? A I am doing last minute planninng Do many of the campgrounds in NS have wifi connections?
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 11:01 AM

You did not indicate interests, ages of children, etc.

This is a large area, with no "central location". See my profile and check out route M at our website.

When our three daughters were 10-13 years we camped for over a week at Red Point Provincial CG on PEI and they so enjoyed it that they voted to return to PEI the following year. Red Point has a beach, tent sites are near the water. The water is warm enuf to swim in July/August. (From there you can drive a couple of miles to the beach at Basin Head). We easily toured the entire island from that location. Cabot and Cartier Prov. Parks also have tent sites that are pleasant.

From Bedeck, NS you can fan out to tour several interesting places.

I am not aware of any provincial parks with wi-fi.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

We have a 7, 5, and 2 year old! Our interest are hiking, bicycling, wildlife, ecology, and fossil. And museums with educational or family programs. My seven-year old main interest is the Puffins and whales. We have at least one month to explore the area. And our goal is to spend a week in 4 different areas to explore the region. This could change, we are very go with the flow and see what happens. ANother question is best to take the ferry from St. John's to Digby or is it worth driving through Frederic?
Old May 1st, 2010, 01:33 PM

Suggest you NOT bother to take the St. John/Digby ferry - it's pricy and usually foggy so you don't see much. Suggest you not bother with Fredericton -- instead in Maine, from Bangor head to the coast to tour the Bar Harbor (Arcadia National Park) area OR take route 9 from the Bangor area to Calais, on the Canadian border.

There are several places of possible special interest to the three children. (I do not know of any whale watches or puffins in these three provinces - I'll leave that to others.)

The Ovens, a campground and private park, south of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Check out www.ovenspark.com for info. We were there several years ago and enjoyed the rock bound coast. A lot to explore -- plenty of hiking, ecology, even panning for gold. Just yesterday they posted that the boat tours were discontinued - you might check to see if they'll be reinstated.

Orwell Corner is in PEI. It is a created as a village of the 1800s with school, farm (animals, etc.), home, etc. We also enjoyed a ceilidh (KAY-lee) -- fiddler, etc.

Also, near Murray River there is Kings Castle Provincial Park which has fairy tale characters, houses, etc for the children of your ages. No fee

Just south of Montague, PEI on Rt 4 is the Buffalo Park. This is a reserve of a couple of dozen buffalo that is kept in case buffalos in the west are ravaged by disease, etc there would be some to restart a herd. No fee

Bicycling is grand on PEI because it is quite flat. The Confederation Trail, on the bed of a former RR, opened as a biking/hiking/snowmobile trail a few years ago. Probably the most scenic stretch is at St Peters - you can rent bikes, possibly in Morrell.

From Bedeck, NS you can visit the nearby Alexander Graham Bell museum. Use this as a base for touring the Cabot Trail. East of Sydney, NS there is the Fortress of Louisbourg, which has costumed guides, etc. You can get further info of the area at my site, see my profile.

Suggest that you take the children onto the fishing docks, also, check at the tourist centers to learn of any country fairs, parades, etc that are taking place when you are in the area. You can be sure that 4H members would like to explain their projects to your children.
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM

PEI is not flat! Ok, the Confederation trail is but roads are not. I doubt you'll be riding there with kids anyway so it doesn't matter.

Stanhope campground at PEI park is best to bike in the park. I think it was site 18 that was best. Cavendish site is close to town and services. I biked very little of the Confederation trail and wasn't thrilled much. Rail trails are rarely exciting.

Kouchibouguac park in NB is great family cycling. They also have a bike campground, in case you want a bit of adventure with the kids. If you have a kids' trailer, you could make a few runs to bring your camping gear in. There's an outhouse, waterwell, firewood... and a bear pole. Showers are a few kilometers away at the car campground.

An easy hike in Cape Breton is the skyline trail. Look through the trees for moose, in the air for raptors and in the water for whales. A moose calf was feeding at arm's length with 20 people arounf it. I stayed at Cheticamp campground which was nice. The Corney Brook campground is right in the middle of where all the famous cabot trail pictures come from. It has flush toilet but no potable water. Big intervale was nothing interesting.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:16 AM

I second Kouchibouguac park in NB. Great family campground with loads of bike trails, beautiful beach, lots of things for the kids to do, clean showers. They have on-site park attendants that will do presentations around the park on different flora/fauna, etc. Actually, biking is probably the preferred method to get around the park - it is immense.

If you want fossils, then Joggins, NS is the place to take your kids http://www.jogginsfossilcliffs.net/. Also in Parrsboro there is an interpretation Centre. There is a great campground at Five Islands. Cape Chignecto Provincial Park is an option for camping and Five Islands Ocean Resort and Campground.
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the wonderful information. So far we are planning on two days at B and B near Hopewell Rocks, Camping for a week at the Bay of Fundy Nova Scotia Area, Then 4 days in PEI, A week in Cape Brenton, then a week along the Eastern Shore/Hailfax area, then spending a week at Kouchibouguac Park, and exploring the Southern Coast/Yaramouth area. And starting the long drive back to Georgia, and hopefuly getting back before school starts. Does anybody have suggestions for camping in the Cape Breton that have wifi availablity. It allows my husband to indirectly parcipate in our travels.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:31 AM

http://www.macleods.com/
http://www.campingnovascotia.com/campgrounds.cfm

Kouchibouguac Park is actually in NB (the one with the bike trails and beautiful beach) - you must be referring Kejimikujic which is located in NS. Very remote park - great for kayaking - not sure what is there for families - but as any national park, I am sure it is accommodating. As for wifi in this area of NS, lots of people are still on dial-up internet.

Shediac might be an option for camping too - great beach for the kids and a bustling little town with lots of restaurants and a huge giant lobster with a little boardwalk. http://www.shediac.com/ Close by in Moncton there is Crystal Palace - option for a rain day with the kids (indoor amusement park)http://www.crystalpalace.ca/ and outdoor day Magic Mountain (waterpark) http://www.magicmountain.ca/ and also the Magnetic Hill Zoo http://www.moncton.org/zoo/ and of course, solve the mystery of Magnetic Hill itself http://www.magnetichill.com/english.htm