Nova Scotia Trip Report

Search

Nova Scotia Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nova Scotia Trip Report

We returned from spending 2 weeks in Nova Scotia (Last week in Sept and first of Oct)the following is a trip report that I hope is helpful as I got many helpful suggestions that made our trip worthwhile.

Flew into Halifax and drove to Pictou. We stayed a the Evening Sail B&B. It was one of definately one of our highlights as far as accomodations. By the time we left we felt like long lost friends with the innkeepers, Michelle & Gail. The best breakfast we had in all of NS and the most comfortable beds.

We drove to Cape Breton and based out of Baddeck at the Worn Doorstep. We had a very comfortable room with continental breakfast and Willie, from Scotland was a great help as things not to miss on the Cape. We only had one 1 1/2 days to do the Cape and in hindsight should have allowed for at least 2 more. I also would have stayed in Cheticamp for a night instead of driving back to Baddeck. We walked the Skyline Trail to breathtaking scenery. It is about was fairly easy hike 4 mi round trip and definately worth the time. We saw a moose about 20 yards away.

Drove to Lewisburg and got into extremely bad weather, wind, rain. cold. Gave us an idea of what the early settlers had to endure. We made the most of it but really would have liked to spend an entire day here. Even with the bad weather it was worth the trip.

Halifax - Stayed at the Waverly Inn. Just OK. Room dingy and dark and the continental breakfast nothing to note (we ate elsewhere).
Our favorite restaurant: Little Fish. (we ate there twice)
Saw Drum. Was a highlight of our trip. Definately would see again. It was worth double the price of $44. Great city to spend some time in.

Peggy's Cove. Great scenery but far to many buses and tourists. A great place to eat along the road to Peggy's Cove was Shaw's Landing. Nice outdoor patio with some scenic picture spots

Lunenburg: Stayed 3 nights at the Ashley B&B. Very, very nice innkeepers, our room was extremely comfortable and nice. Great home cooked breakfast. Got some great tips from the innkeepers. They have some great plans for this B&B.
Definately drive to Blue Rocks we went at Sunset. Very beautiful!

Took the lighthouse route and saw very many beautiful sights. Took the CAT from Yarbourgh to Bar Harbor. In Yarbourgh our stay was at the Cooper's Inn. Wonderful historic Inn with a fabulous breakfast.

I hope this helps someone else. Would be happy to answer any questions if I can.

Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Jed

Thanks for the interesting and helpful report.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 04:47 AM

Thanks for advice about visiting Nova Scotia. Any ideas about getting there from Maine?
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 05:14 AM

Hi wendydenny,

I went to NS from Maine last August (my trip report is here on the Canada forum from then).

I went using the CAT from Portland. It was a 4-5 hour ferry trip and I needed the dramamine from the gift store. It was not a too terrible motion, but enough that I was miserable. I could just feel the meds the moment they kicked in (about 45 minute wait!).

Along my trip, I stayed with a lovely couple in Halifax who told me that it was about an 8-hour drive to the Bangor Mall. I left the house at 6am and arrived Yarmouth (if I remember right) 8-9 hours later. So, if I had turned north instead of south on the highway, that would have put me probably in at least Truro, NS (Mapquest says almost 8 hours to there for me, but then there's getting through the border, too).

My NS trip was a circle, starting and ending in Yarmouth, driving around the Evangeline and Lighthouse routes. I did not get to Truro or the other side of the Bay. But even without wanting to see more of NS than I did, I really think that (for me) I will be driving all the way to NS for my next trip.

Cheers.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 04:14 AM

Shannan and guests...

Some comments on the trip Report

1.) I'm sure that Shannan and crew visited Fortress Louisbourg, not Lewisburg

2.) I've stayed at the Waverly Inn more than 60 times over 15 years and have found it an absolute delight with a great breakfast

3.) The CAT leaves from Yarmouth, not Yarbourgh and,

4.) The Cooper's Inn is in Historic Shelburne, not Yarmouth

Hope to see lots of people visiting in 2008.

Timothy