Niagara Falls-Toronto commuter traffic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read in at least one other post about commuter traffic between Niagara Falls and Toronto, which I never would have considered.

When is rush hour between NF & Toronto (and between Toronto and NF)? How long does the drive take at different times of the day (mapping websites generally say about 1.5 hrs from NF, ON and about 1.75 from NF, NY).

I would actually be going from Lewiston, NY. How does crossing at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge compare to other Falls-area crossings?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Rush hour cannot be pre-determined TO/NF and NF/TO. That said, if I am going to downtown TO from NF, I leave around 10:00AM. That gets me there around 11:30AM. If I am leaving TO & going to NF, the same timeframe seems to work.

Sunday mornings are the best.

I know very little about the border crossings so cannot comment on that.

OB1
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 07:52 PM

I think those estimates are about right; of course depends on how far into GTA you go. I've driven it a few times and found the traffic really only gets thick around half-way point either way around Hamilton/Burlington into/out of TO. Commuter traffic is heavy after 4pm to about 7pm.

IMHO, the border crossing is what I'd be more concerned about. I've been there bright and early 7am on a Saturday and waited half an hour and gone down mid-week at 10:30am and not had any wait. If you have to be there for an appointment, then I'd leave plan for an extra hour to avoid the stress.

Good luck & have a fun trip - enjoy-la!
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 08:33 PM

It can be really bad coming out of downtown TO. Just getting onto the QEW at the bottom of Bay St can take forever. One Monday morning, I left TO around 9:00AM and it took almost 3 hours to get to NF. There did not seem to be any major problem...like an accident or weather related delay. There was A LOT of truck traffic!

I would not wait until 4:00PM to leave TO & I wld not want to be driving into downtown To at 4:00PM. I'd get in/out b/f 2:00PM at the latest. I do not like evening/driving so I am somewhat restricted in that regard. You may be ok with night driving & if so, then after 9:00PM shd be fine.

OB1
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 09:08 PM

I meant... even close to 4:00PM....
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 04:02 AM

Traffic is somewhat predictable based on the business day, however special events,holidays, and sports always affect the delays... The QEW can be amazingly fast or a parking lot based on one small incident...

If you are flexible, much of the above advice is good... if you give us a specific dates and timesof your travel, I can see if anything unusual may be happening... for example, a Saturday Blue Jays Game can jam the Gardiner Exp exits and cause delays, and the annual Indy Car, CNE, Caribana Festival create extra problems...

Of all the Bridges, Lewiston is usually the most delayed, due to a total rebuilding of the Customs and Homeland Security Facilities, increased tourist use and less open lanes...plan on 30 to 60 minutes for customs unless its early or late in the day...

Strangely enough, the Rainbow Bridge at the Falls may be the least delayed and usually moves quickly... plan on 15 minutes or less through customs...

if i can be of more help...
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 03:34 PM

+1 for the Rainbow Bridge - Lewiston is usually a really long wait.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 01:34 PM

+ 2 for Rainbow. Nexus told us Lewiston has half the staff on duty compared to Rainbow.
OceanBreeze is spot on with timings out of Toronto, barring accidents or rain which can also add to the traffic congestion.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I would be going to Toronto on April 26 (a Friday). I would be going to the University of Toronto area at some point and would probably be there for a couple of hours, but there is no set time I have to arrive. I also want to visit the CN Tower if it is a clear day.

Other than that, some possible attractions I think I would enjoy are the Allan Gardens, the Sculpture Garden, and the Ryerson Image Centre. If I drive (see below) I might go to the Botanical Garden. I enjoy photography and plan to have my camera with me, so places that are good for taking pictures would appeal to me. Maybe the Toronto Islands? The AGO, OSC, and ROM are out for this trip.

I have no problem with leaving late to avoid evening rush hour, although I would prefer not to have to wait until 9:00 PM.

Although I would prefer to have the flexibility of driving, I could take the bus if that makes life easier. I think some previous threads have also suggested taking the bus, as there is parking to contend with in Toronto. Any idea where to park in Niagara Falls (NY or ON) that has easy access to the bus terminal there (near the Whirlpool Bridge)? Cost?

Thanks again for the help!
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 08:06 PM

If you leave NF at 9 am you should be ok . I leave Burlington at 9 am and most of the heavy traffic is gone ..

Returning at night, I'd either leave Toronto at 2 or wait until 7 pm ... All this is hoping there are no accidents.

Good luck .. I'm on this highway everyday and these times should be the best for you .
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 08:21 PM

If you have to be in TO for Friday, Apr 26, why not go to TO the day before? Get there by 2:00PM. Enjoy TO. Go to U of T on the morning of the 26th (9-11AM) & leave TO.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:37 AM

driving is much easier from Niagara to TO than a Bus but the costs for parking could add up...
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

kodi—Those times would work fine for me (I have no problem leaving TO at 7 or 8 PM for the return).

OB1—Unfortunately, my schedule will not allow me to leave for TO until the morning of April 26.

garyt22—Any advice on where to park?
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 04:45 PM

Cranachin,
I have a friend who takes the bus all the time NF/TO return. She buys a return ticket & says that's the way to go. No worries about TO parking parking and highway traffic. Just sit back & relax.
It's also v/ inexpensive. It will probably cost you more to park in TO for the day than it will to buy your return bus ticket! My friend has a gorgeous Audi but she still prefers to take the bus to avoid that drive!

OB1
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

OB1—Greyhound has return tickets for $24 and MegaBus has them for as low as $5 each way (depending on the time; more likely it would be $15 or $20 R/T for times I want). That does sound like less than parking, or certainly no more.

I see that Casa Loma charges $9 for parking for the day (until 4 or 5 pm, anyway), so maybe that is a possibility (if I could just leave the car there and go elsewhere!).
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 04:58 PM

The VIA train may go to NF/TO return. I know that VIA rail has cut some stops. Worth checking. The tarin is nicer than the bus. It takes you to Union Station & from there you can take the subway to U of T. (University Ave line, not Yonge St Line)
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

VIA has only bus service from NF—change to train in Burlington. Fare looks like it is around $45 R/T.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know where I could park near the bus station in Niagara Falls for the day?
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:12 PM

Or, you cld drive to Burlington & take the GO train from there to TO!

Easiest wld be to take the bus, I think. That's what I would do. Sorry I cannot help w/ NF parking.

OB1
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:40 PM

I was about to advise the same thing . You could drive to Burlington and take the GO train to Union station . Parking is free at the Burlington Stations . I think this is the best option .

I would not advise parking at Casa Loma . I think it is too far off the beaten path when your time is limited .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -