Search

Niagara Falls - need advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niagara Falls - need advice

Hi,

I?m planning a trip to Niagara Falls over memorial day weekend. Hubby has never been and I went so long ago I can barely remember. We would like to see the falls from both sides, and also visit Goat Island, do Maid of the Mist, and try to do cave of the winds. This is only a day trip there, so I?m thinking about basing ourselves on the US side, park the car and check out the attractions from there. I know pedestrians can cross rainbow bridge on foot, and it offers a good view of the (Canadian?) falls, but is that good enough? Is there another view we need to see from the Canadian side - and is it feasible to walk to from the bridge or should we try to navigate the car across the border? We really don?t care much about the shops and other attractions since we have limited time? though a casual inexpensive restaurant for lunch (and maybe dinner) would be good.

Thanks!
Ski Queen
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 07:01 PM
BAK

Drive to Canada, and also drive to Niagara On The Lake.

And the Maid of the Mist is a great treat.

BAK
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:27 AM

IMO, the US side is kind of dumpy. Whenever we have gone to the Falls, we have based ourselves out of Canada for that reason. The view is also better on the Canadian side, especially to see the Horshoe Falls. Although, I am not clear on if you are staying the night or just doing a day trip.

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Mazey,
Just a day trip - and really not even a full day because we'll be driving part way home that day as well (about 4 hours driving). Is it possible to get a good view of the Horseshoe Falls just by crossing the Rainbow Bridge?
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:47 PM

I suggest you do what BAK recommended and drive across to Canada. Much more scenic [gardens etc] and a couple of minutes drive or a few minutes walk to a spectacular 'postcard' view of the Falls.
At most only a few minutes longer than walking the bridge.

Jerry
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:51 AM

ski_queen,

I agree with everyone above After using this board, I too was so happy that we drove over to the Canadian side, there really is no comparison! Memorial Day weekend is probably going to be crowded. I am not sure how much time you are allowing yourself, but we found Maid of the Mist, The Spanish Aero Car and the Butterfly Conservatory well worth the trip! As for food we found any of the Govt run Niagara Park restaurants on the Canadian side to have wonderful meals at great prices! Check out this link:
http://www.niagaraparks.com/planavisit/dining.php
We found The Queenston Heights Restaurant to have the best meals, they even have a Sunday Brunch! Even Table Rock and Victoria Park had nice offerings as well.
Any other questions just let me know.
Elaine
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:36 AM

Ditto on not basing yourself on the US side. Go across into Canada. However, Memorial Day will be haevy with tourist traffic. Thus, the Rainbow Bridge corssing at the Falls will probably be jammed. My recommendation is to try the Lewiston Bridge crossing, which is usually not as busy, the Whirlpool Bridge which restricts commercial traffick, or the Peace Bridge, all of which will probably get you into Canada quicker, though you'll have to drive to NF a short distance (about 30 minutes from Peace Bridge, and shorter from the other two). Also, either have passports handy or certified birth certificates, including for the kids (if any). Finally, if you have access to a computer at the time, here's the US border patrol website for border crossing times/delays: apps.cbp.gov/bwt Have fun.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:06 PM

I agree with everyone .... drive over to the Canadian side. And to answer your question, if you walk over the bridge, hoping to get a good view of the falls, you won't. The bridge is too far away to really appreciate the falls, so no, it really isn't good enough. You need to get closer to the falls. You could walk closer, but driving would be so much quicker, and you do seem like you don't have too much time.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:42 AM

I'd recommend taking the Peace Bridge if you're coming from the south. Get on I190 in Buffalo and get off on Exit 9 for QEW. Queen Elizabeth Way will take you up to Niagra Falls on the Canadian side and you will be able to avoid most of the traffic congestion through Buffalo and Niagra Fall NY.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think we will try to head across to Canada first thing so we can get both sides in. Haven't decided which side we will catch Maid of the Mist from, but we may just wing it once there.
Teach - we will be coming from Rochester NY... is the Peace Bridge or one of the others still an easy option from there, or should we just try to take the Rainbow Bridge? Anyone know how long drive it is from Rochester to the border crossing? And, will it be pretty obvious where the places are to park to view the falls from the Canadian side? I'm guessing there's probably a lot of signage, but I just want to make sure.

Ski Queen
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 06:09 PM

Following up on what waltd said earlier - I suggest crossing over to Ontario by the Queenston - Lewiston Bridge. This will allow you to take the scenic Niagara Parkway to Niagara Falls. Plenty of gardens, butterfly conservatory, and overlooks of the Niagara River.
Parking for the best Falls view will be evident -it is well signed and the mist rising off the Falls will indicate you are going the right direction! The Canadian Maid of the Mist dock is a few minutes walk from the Falls and definitely worth doing.

Have fun.

Jerry
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 06:10 PM
BAK

Yes, there are lots of signs directing you to everywhere you want to go.

One good idea is to park, and then take the tourist shuttles to the various places you want to see. And there's a big parkinglot right across the street from the top of the Horseshoe Falls.

BAK
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM

I agree with gannetmusic that the Lewiston Bridge port of entry is the best, given that you are coming from Rochester. It wouldn't make sense to beat all the way to the other side of Buffalo for the Peace Bridgte just to track again north and east for NF.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Keep in mind that the Whirpool brigde is now reserved for NEXUS passholders only.

Also, although the main parking area streches alond the river upstream from the Falls, the entrance is somewhat far from the main attractions.
If you're taking the Lewiston bridge, drive along the river towards the Falls only until you reach the Flower Clock or the Butterfly Conservatory, park there, (It might even be free, I'm not sure) and take the "People's Mover" (or something like that) - a "hop-on-hop-off" shuttle that will take you to all the sights.