NF: Iceberg Report Pls

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm excited to have researched and planned a trip to your province!

Can you give me a preview of what the iceberg sightings are like this year (St. Anthony's, Twillingate, Bonavista, St. John's)?

Enjoy-la!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:29 AM

Environment Canada publishes a sea ice report which should give you an idea of what things will be like:

http://ice-glaces.ec.gc.ca/App/WsvPa...;#x26;Lang=eng
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Thx a mint for the site, laverendrye. Pretty cool...never knew such a thing existed.

Looks like lots of icebergs on the Labrador coast down to Baie Verte, but according to the map most of them seem quite far off shore. Good thing I'm heading to St. Anthony's.

I have no experience with icebergs so was wondering if anyone is in the local area, does it look like a "good" iceberg season?

I'll take a look at the site daily to see how fast they move!

Enjoy-la!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:29 AM

No icebergs at all yet in the St. John's area this season.

It would be very surprising if you did not find them off St. Anthony -they're just about 'guaranteed' there.

Haven't spoken to anyone up near Twillingate recently so can't comment on that area.

Slightly off topic...humpback whales are starting to show up around Witless Bay which puts them pretty much on a normal schedule although Nfld has had a cool spring season.

cheers

Jerry
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Thx for the update gannetmusic.

I just returned from my trip...wow!! However, there are virtually NO icebergs! There was one up at L'anse aux Meadows, but it was about 12 miles out and boats were not going to it.

We took an "iceberg" tour in St. Anthony's and nothing there (did see whales tho). No icebergs in Twillingate either. Basically none everywhere.

The Enviro Cda website is misleading to the ignorant (like me) as it looks like there are lots but they are very far out (not viewable on land).

From my conversations with tour operators, apparently every few years (7-10) there is very little calving off the glaciers (off Greenland, etc.) and we are experiencing the flow from one of those years.

So if you're heading to NF don't expect to see icebergs, but still we were not disappointed!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:31 AM

I just returned from Twillingate. NO ICEBERGS! The first time in 85 years there hasn't been any. There is one they are keeping an eye on that might come into the harbour, but locals say the way the currents are running, it doesn't look good. However, do not miss Twillingate! It is an awesome place to visit and lots to do if you like nature! We stayed at Seaside B&B - Dora is a most gracious hostess with lots of homemade food. If in the area, check out the dinner theatre which offers local entertainment and food for only $25/person - runs every evening except for Sunday. We ate at the Anchor Inn - exceptional seafood!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Syv

I just returned a week ago. I had booked a tour out of St. Anthony's but found out at the last minute from folks at L'anse aux Meadows that the ONE & ONLY iceberg was there & might be gone by the next morning. We quickly cancelled & re-booked our tour with L'anse aux Meadows Adventure Tours & were able to find the berg before it got away. AMAZING SIGHT!!!

You can view a few of my highlight trip pics at---http://community.webshots.com/user/johnstonsylvia