Newfoundland in 9 days

Search

Newfoundland in 9 days

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2017, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newfoundland in 9 days

Just wanted a reality check is this a possible itinerary or am I trying to do too much:
Day one: Ferry to Port aux Basques and drive to Deer Lake for the night.
Day 2-3 Drive to Bareneed 2 nights in B&B tour St. Johns and Witless Bay
Day 4-5 B& B near St. Mary's Reserve
Day 6 Drive to Gros Morne
Day 7-8 Gros Morne
Day 9 B& B near ferry
Day 10 ferry back to Nova Scotia
Thank you for your help. I am seeing that Bareneed is quite a ways from St. Johns. Looked like a beautiful place to stay but maybe I should look at something closer in??
Old May 1st, 2017, 12:28 PM

That is a lot of driving. I would visit Gros Morne and the west coast after you arrive at Port-aux-Basques, and then drive to St. John's, stay a couple of nights to visit the city and Witless Bay, move on to St. Mary's and then take the ferry from Argentia back to North Sydney. That will save a second trip back across the island on the Trans-Canada, which is a long and not very interesting drive.

If you do this, I would not stay overnight in Deer Lake, which has little to recommend it, but head right to Gros Morne and stay in Rocky Harbour or perhaps Norris Point which you could make your centre for exploring the park.

I think that Bareneed is too far out of the way for exploring the Avalon. Stay in St. John's a couple of nights instead, and then perhaps Placentia before you take the ferry from Argentia.
Old May 1st, 2017, 12:31 PM

I might have added that if you want to break your trip from Gros Morne to St. John's, stay a night at Trinity on the Bonavista Peninsula. This should meet your need for a beautiful place to stay.
Old May 1st, 2017, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

I thought about that but the ferry is 16 hrs from Saint John and only about 7 hrs for Port aux Basques. Plus it only runs 3 or 4 times a week and costs over $200 more and that is without a cabin which adds another $200. but the advise to skip Bareneed for Bonvista is good.. back to the drawing board!
thanks.