Need help planning a trip to Nova Scotia

Old Dec 31st, 2004, 04:00 PM
koi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help planning a trip to Nova Scotia

Flying from the S.E. United States to Nova Scotia this summer. Need ideas about places to see and stay. Would like to go for about 7 or 8 days. Where would I fly into? And what is the best itinerary? I have never been there.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 06:09 PM

I went 18 months ago and loved it! There are a number of itineraries you could take; it depends on your interests. Do you like culture and history? Maritime themes? You would probably want to fly into Halifax, by far the largest airport, and spend a day or 2 sightseeing there. Cape Breton Island, which is about a 4-hour drive away, is the draw for many. It features breathtaking scenery, fabulous hiking and wildlife, whale watching, Scottish and Celtic cultural attractions, and the Fortress of Louisbourg, a recreated 18th century French fort/town. You might start to narrow down your choices by ordering the fabulous "Doers and Dreamers Guide," sent out free by the Nova Scotia Tourism Bureau.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 10:08 AM

The 2004 Doers & Dreamers Guide is available now. You can request the 2005 guide beginning in late January. Here is the link for requests:
http://www.destination-ns.com/forms/guide.asp
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:57 PM

I would definately start in Halifax.You want to spend two days there at least as there is a lot to see and do for a city of only about 300,00. Its a fun place.
After Halifax, rent a car and spend the rest of your time touring. Unfortnately, the place is so big you cant possibly see it all in a week.
The trip up to Cape Breton has been described by another post; its great, but is a lot of driving for such a short trip.
Another option, (which my wife and I did last fall) is to head south down the Lighthouse Route from Halifax and loop around the south tip of the province (through Yarmouth),and back up through Digby and the Annapolis Valley and back to Halifax. The route is loaded with pretty little towns and villages, and there is a lot of history if you stop and explore. You would also get to see the AMAZING Bay of Fundy tides doing this route.
We especially ennjoyed Mahone Bay, Lunenberg, Liverpool, Digby and the drive up the Digby arm,and Wolfville.
The "Doers and Dreamers" guide suggested by laurafromtexas is an excellent suggestion.
Or just google "Nova Scotia" and a lot of good info will come up.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:50 AM

There are several small airports available for you to land at if you decide to travel and see Nova Scotia that way. However, you will need to rent a car. I would suggest you either look at Halifax and do the surrounding areas (ie a few days in Halifax, travel the south shore and perhaps Valley) or head directly to Sydney and explore Cape Breton Island. Another option would be to fly into Yarmouth, rent a car - drive through the Valley (Digby, Wolfville) into Halifax and then return through the South Shore (Lunenburg, Shelburne) back to Yarmouth. Any of the airports mentioned above you can rent a vehicle onsite.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Air Canada is having a great sale on flights to Halifax. I am flying there from Los Angeles and it was $109 each way!