Search

Mosquitoes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mosquitoes

I've heard the mosquitoes are really bothersome in the summer time. What do most people do to combat them? Are most hotels in the area NOT air-conditioned? What do you do for ventilation in the summer? Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:49 PM

Which of our six time zones are you referring to?
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM

Are you planning a visit? If you check out a map you will see that Canada is a vast country. The majority of people in Canada have air conditioning as the majority of populated areas lie in the southern border areas.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Sorry- Lake Louise in summer. I am very sensitive to mosquito bites and I heard the mosquitoes are quite a problem. many thanks.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:13 AM

>>>>>>Sorry- Lake Louise in summer. I am very sensitive to mosquito bites and I heard the mosquitoes are quite a problem. many thanks.<<<<<<

Yes, there are mosquitoes in the Canadian Rockies in summer.

It is wise to carry a little spray bottle of mosquito repellent in the day pack that you should have with you for other reasons (to carry your jacket when it's not in use, to carry your water bottle, etc.).

The mosquitoes are worst in the evenings. In addition to using mosquito repellent, it's good to cover yourself up with a long-sleeved shirt, long pants and socks.

It so happens that the temperature almost always cools off in the mountains in the evenings. So you usually need to add layers of clothing in the evening anyway. It's normal for night time temperatures in the mountains to be in the 40 deg F to 45 deg F range. Sometimes the temperature drops to the freezing mark, even in the middle of summer.

Unlike much of the rest of Canada that does have air conditioning, many properties in the Canadian Rockies do not have air conditioning. As you can probably tell from the temperatures that I've quoted, there would be little use for air conditioning. All you need to do at night is open your window, and nature will condition the air for you pretty darn quickly.

The accommodations in which I have stayed in the Canadian Rockies always have had mesh screens on their windows. Even our tent has a mesh screen door and mesh screen windows.

If you are looking for accommodation and if you are sensitive to mosquito bites, it would be a good idea to double check in advance that your desired accommodation does have mesh screen on the windows.

Hope that helps.

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 02:39 PM

also try mosquito repellent with DEET as an ingredient, it works well. Canadian Rockies are not too bad for bugs, but stay away from Northern Alberta.!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info.