Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

montreal-quebec city, where do we get the train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:35 AM
howard

We will be arriving @ Montreal/Dorval Airport and have a reservation on Via Rail Canada to Quebec. We arrive @ 11AM and the train is @ 12:30. Will we make it? Where do we go to board the train? Thanks for any help.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Louis

You're coming from the U.S., right? Figure 30 minutes to go through customs and pick up baggage. Then 30 minutes to get to Central Station downtown by taxi (28$ flat rate). You still have 30 minutes to spare. There should not be any problems. True your flight could be late, but Via is also often late in departing Montreal.<BR><BR>Jave a nice trip!<BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Daniel Williams

I think you're cutting it close personally. If everything's on schedule, you'll probably be OK. Hey, listen though, if your flight is late and the train is on time and you miss it, you have a few other options to get to Quebec. (In my experience, VIA Rail has left on time; I always seem to be late flying though.) You might be able to see if you can get a later seat on a later VIA Rail train. If the later trains are full, another alternative would be to catch a taxi to the Montreal bus station and catch the Orleans Express bus, which runs quite frequently to Quebec City.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:01 AM
howard

thanks to you both for the info. Now if only the flight is on time...

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Brian Kilgore

I used to take the train in and out of Montreal every week, and train departure times are when it starts to roll, not when you get told that it is time to borad.<BR><BR>And I was always amazed at how on-time the departures were. So I'd be nervous about the plane to train timing you have.<BR><BR>It is doable if the roads are not under construction, there are no accidents, etc., and if you have your train tickets, boarding cards, etc.<BR><BR>But Montreal traffic, even during mid-morning, can be awful.<BR><BR>The taxi from the airport will take you to Central Station and let you out very close to where you get on the train.<BR><BR>BAK