Search

Trip to Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 05:04 PM
rn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Toronto

What's the best way to get to the Palmerston Inn from Pearson Int'l Airport? Cab/train/bus? Also, can I pay for transportation in USD or do I need to have Canadian money when I arrive? My plane comes in at 7:40 pm.

Also ~ if I can only do one extra (business trip) event, do you recommend a tour to the Falls, the theatre, or what?
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 06:02 PM
BAK

Probably a limo is the best transportyation, if prcie isn't all that important.

US dollars will be accepted by a limo dirver, andyou'll get reasonable, but not exceptional, exchange rates.
What best to do on a spare day depends on the person and intrests.

Niagara Falls is great for people from other giant cities like New York or LA.

If you're from a smaller place, stay in Toronto.

BAK
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:22 PM
rn
Original Poster

Thanks! Wow you guys are fast on your email feet!

I am a small town girl, that's why I picked an Inn instead of the Sheraton City Center where the conference is. I prefer residential areas and small clubs/theatres. Je parle francais un petit peu, so French shows/clubs are okay, too. Just thought maybe the Falls is a "must see". Love food. Love books/plays/art and the people who make them. I love San Fransisco, hate LA. Love local people, hate snobs. Can't help being a tourist but I don't want to be annoying and obvious.

How long a drive is it from the airport? Also, can I even get a limo at night? Price range?
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 08:31 PM
rn
Original Poster

No more advice left in ya, BAK? Help me out here, I will ruin my trip if I end up at all the tourist traps....
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 03:55 AM

Sent an e-mail to you with a file of Toronto suggestions.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 04:17 PM
BAK

I'd offer more suggestions if my damn computer worked. You mighht think it is working now, but in fact I got an e-mail with a Washington Post link, clicked on that, and got to the internet backwards.

Anyway, if it was me, I'd stay at the convention hotel, because the location is good and it is convenient, and who wants to try to get back to a B&B late at night anyway?

For one spare day, Toronto has a lot to offer, but on the other hand, Niagara Falls is special. The best way to go to NF is to rent a car, perhaps with three or four other people.

For a great French dinner, walk west a few blocks on Queen Street from the Sheraton to Select Bistro, on Queen Street West between Peter and Spadina. You might as well be in Paris.

A day walking around Toronto could be your best bet. Start at the hotel, walk west on Queen to Bathurst, retrace to Spadina, north on Spadina through Chinatown to Bloor, east on Bloor to Avenue Road, north a couple of blicks and wandere through Yorkville neighborhood, then keep eastbound to Yonge, and south on Yonge back to Queen Street, and then west a couple of blocks to the Sheraton.

Don't know of any plays in French. Sorry.

BAK

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 07:34 PM
rn
Original Poster

Thanks BAK; I am having web browser problems myself.

Too late about the Sheraton; I already booked the B&B. I will still find the restaurant you mentioned. I have four extra days added to the trip, just for seeing and enjoying the region. I figured if I am going to Toronto I might as well enjoy whatever I can while I am there. I will go with the weather and what my cash allows.

I'm hoping to have an adventure.