Reload this Page >

Montreal for 4 days

Search

Montreal for 4 days

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Beth

Montreal for 4 days

We're flying to Montreal for 4 days at the end of May. Think we'd like to stay in Vieux-Port or Vieux-Montreal areas, from looking at the map ... can anyone recommend a great inn/hotel, price not a big concern, but would like a great tub/whirlpool, romantic setting, breakfast package a plus. Also, whats' happening in the city at that time of year - film/arts/music/sports -? Thanks for your comments & advice.

Old May 12th, 2001, 02:21 PM
elaine

Beth, <BR> <BR>When we travel to Montreal my husband and I enjoy staying at Auberge du Vieux Port (which has tub/whirlpool, a romantic setting, and full breakfast for two included in room rate). This is a small Inn and books up quickly (also has excellent cancellation policy and 800#). If interested, website is: <BR>www.aubergeduvieuxport.com <BR> We have not visited Montreal in May. Perhaps others can assist with 'happenings'and additional accommodation recommendations.

Old May 14th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Daniel Williams

There is tons going in Montreal year-round in cinema, arts, music and sports. Pick up either the mainstream or the alternative weeklies when in Montreal; the mainstream English is the Montreal Gazette, alternative English are the Montreal Mirror and Hour. Mainstream French is Le Devoir and La Presse; alternative French is Ici Montréal and Voir. All will tell you something interesting going on around town...it's a very eclectic city with entertainment in almost any genre almost any night of the week. <BR> <BR>Have a fab time in my favorite North American City! <BR> <BR>DAN

Old May 17th, 2001, 11:50 AM
x

Try the Intercontinental hotel close to the old port area. <BR>www.interconti.com <BR> The immediate area is a little uninspiring (it's a business hotel attached to an international trade (?) building which is quiet on weekends). The hotel, however is extremely elegant, often has packages ,especially on weekends, that can upgrade you to a suite/junior suite. I've been there a couple of times, and all the rooms I've been in, suite or 'regular' were very large, had excellent city views, and luxurious marble bathrooms. There's also a small indoor/outdoor pool on the roof that can be lovely at a quiet time. <BR> <BR>Other luxury hotels in Montreal, such as the Omni, Ritz, are 'across town' on Sherbrooke street. If you stay those areas (w/museums,elegant shops and restaurants) you can take a relatively inexpensive cab ride to the old port area when you need to... Is there some special reason you'd like to stay in the old port area?

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:43 PM
L

As far as I know, there is no special festivals at the end of May. Festivals start when school is out (end of June) <BR> <BR>La Ronde is openning this weekend (for weekends only until school is out) The old port and Old Montreal are my favourite places in Montreal. Lots of really nice restaurant. My personnal favourite is the BONAPARTE (in old Montreal) charming little restaurant which serves French gourmet cuisine, impeccable service but pricey. They also have an "auberge" (small hotel) upstairs which should be very nice (recommended by lots of guides) But I don't think they would have whirlpools. <BR> <BR>The weather should be very hot at the end of May (around 75F to 78F)but flowers should be blooming. <BR> <BR>Try to avoid driving (not much parking space) If you are in good physical shape you can go to most interresting places walking or taking the metro. <BR> <BR>try the Montreal city site, they have a webcam and it's very helpful to visitors.

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:41 PM
Beth

Thanks everyone, we had a great time. After calling about a zillion places we ended up staying at The Queen Elizabeth, and we loved it - good location, although not in Old Town it was close enough. And convenient to the underground, a necessity because it tended to rain a little (although it was fairly warm). Visited the botanical gardens, Olympic Park, the Chalet, Biodome, took 3 of the walking tours in my 1997 Fodors guide, walked around Little Italy including the Jean-Talon markets, took a Gray Line 6-hour tour, walked Rue St. Paul from end to end. Saw many of the churches, and they are gorgeous. Ate at Le Gouveneur (awesome mussels), the Montrealais at our hotel (also very good mussels - see a trend here?), Via Roma in Petite Italie, and a brand-new Indian restaurant that we can't stop raving about, Restaurant Gandhi, at 230 Rue St. Paul. If you like Indian food, it's a must-try. I came down with bronchitis on the 2nd day but managed to still enjoy the weekend, although it curtailed my partying somewhat, so no dance or jazz clubs, but we'll catch them next time. It really felt like Europe until we happened upon a Chapters bookstore replete with Starbucks. Oh well! At least it was nice to find a primarily English bookstore. <BR> <BR>Thanks Fodorites for your tips.

Old May 31st, 2001, 07:46 PM
L

Wow the Queen Elisabeth! That is one of the most sophisticated hotel in Montreal! <BR> <BR>Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. The weather is not as warm as it usually is this time of the year though. It has been raining of and on for the last week or so. Hope you were here the week before when it was in the 70s <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 06:26 AM
Daniel Williams

Thanks Beth for your great trip report. <BR> <BR>I lived in Montreal for 5 years and your essay makes me want to move back tomorrow! I'll have to try that Indian restaurant the next time I'm up visiting; Montreal really is tops in the gastronomical department... particularly as far as quality-price is concerned. <BR> <BR>Yep there are Starbucks in Montreal, although Second Cup is the predominant chain there last time I checked. Nevertheless, Montreal still retains a unique charm that I'm glad you enjoyed. <BR> <BR>DAN