Montreal-Best French Restaurant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Montreal first time for a long weekend in January and need to find a cozy restaurant for a Saturday and Sunday dinner. Want something with great french food (not too weird though), but not as expensive as Toque (even though I heard it's very good). Did some research and finding places like Au Pied De Cochon, Brunoise, and Bonaparte highly recommended. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:22 AM

BRUNOISE...HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bettyo70! Only one response back from this post so far, hmmm. I guess there are TOO many "BEST FRENCH RESTAURANTS" in Montreal to choose from. Will check this place out, hopefully they will be open on Sunday.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 02:33 AM

Bonaparte is a classic ; Guy & Dodo Moralis on Metcalfe is a classic french that I love, very cozy.
Au Pied de Cochon is anything but cozy, imo.
Chez Julien, Piedmontais, Chenets; a place I like a lot is Fonduementale on St. Denis, fondue style which makes for a cozy evening, it's in an old home. Short cab ride from downtown.
I'll get out my restaurant book if you want more; you're right, Mtl has tons of good places to eat, sunday night openings are to look for though, check it out.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mitchdej. How about L'Express or Le P'tit Plateau? It's our first time to Montreal and really just want to try some great French food. We will be there a Sat-Tues.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 03:59 PM

I really like L'Express and Au Petit Extra on rue Ontario...
Au Petit Extra is just like any bistro in Paris, blackboard with menu on wall ( all in French) , busy, bustling, not really romantic or cozy but we go there everytime we are in Montreal.
I think the Bonaparte is more cozy, more formal and quiet. The service is very good.
Toque has always been perfect ( in our opinion) but not at all cozy
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 04:03 PM

Here is the "Profile" on Au Petit Extra from Montreal Plus..

<i>......... Au Petit Extra. Located on Ontario Street, this restaurant has for several years welcomed a regular host of patrons who come as much for the menu as for the ambience.....Set in the style of a typical French bistro, Au Petit Extra is one of those rare Montreal establishments where a lot of attention has been lavished on the decor.
......... square tables with wood chairs, windows with small lace drapes, a large board where the daily menu is displayed (don't forget your glasses!), and of course, the traditional bar, complete with a bottle collection.

The French cuisine is very traditional, inspired more by the gastronomy of central France than the northern region. In fact, Au Petit Extra is a typical French restaurant in almost every way.

Overall, Au Petit Extra is a nice hot spot, especially for diners who are looking for a little piece of France right here in Montreal. &quot;
</i>
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Scarlett. Maybe we should just splurge and give Toque a try? Have been reading some really great reviews about it..
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 06:27 AM

I really recommend La Brunoise (my personnal fave!) and Le Petit Extra (although it's a bit out of the cool neighborhoods). Le Petit Plateau is a very small restaurant (around 12 tables), and the kitchen is right in the middle. The food is very good.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:45 PM

Here's another HUGE recommendation for Guy &amp; Dodo. We visit at least once on every trip, along with Chez Leveque (a more casual place on rue Laurier) where we head immediately after check-in.

While we enjoy the food (and prices) at L'Express, it is cramped and LOUD, really, really cramped and LOUD.

With so many other choices, Le Petit Extra is just not worth going out of the way for us, anyway. A more conveniently located &quot;just like any bistro in Paris&quot; place is LE PARIS right on rue Saint-Catherine. Fabulous French standards/comfort food at reasonable prices in a warm and cozy place.

Also highly recommend Boris Bistro in Vieux Montreal. A terrific restaurant with outstanding food and service at moderate prices.

We've tried many &quot;worth every penny for the experience&quot; sort of places all over, and we were totally underwhelmed with Toque. We found the (austere, actually) space less than romantic (and definitely not cozy). For sure, the food was splendid, more for the presentations and flourish (if a bit too &quot;interesting&quot, but left us wondering if it was worth those lofty prices, especially for such modest portions (and we do not really appreciate overly generous portions).

Here's a tip, though: Reserve for brunch at Thursdays on either Saturday or Sunday. Extensive menu, moderate prices, fabulous service, spectacular decor. Wonderful food!

Also fabulous is Chez La Mere Michel. Best of the best for intimate, romantic, cosy, fabulous food and service, and a great value for the experience.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 03:14 AM

djk, excellent tips you posted, I could not agree more. Le Paris is often overlooked, yet it's excellent and has survived through the years.
Le ptit extra is in an odd area, bordering the red light district. Not worth venturing there specially if you only have a few days.

For a long weekend, with 2 dinners being needed, I would stick with Bonaparte and Guy &amp; Dodo or Le Paris, one in old mtl and one straight downtown.
Italian in old mtl, le Muscadin is my favorite, warm atmosphere.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Omigod, Au Petit Extra is on the edge of the Red Light District!?
LOL, I should have gone for a walk after dinner!
We always cab it there and back from the Le Germaine..had no idea it was in a funky sort of area, having gotten the name from a long time Montreal poster here..
But I still say that regardless of location, a 5 minute cab ride gets you to an excellent restaurant that is always crowded..

I tend to stay away from Peel and St Catherine for dinners out, they seem to have the highest tourist crowd ratios and less than wonderful food..of course, there are always exceptions so these places mentioned might be nice.

I agree about L'Express being crowded but if that takes away from the experience, try it for lunch.
Bonaparte is cozy and you can always warm yourself by the fire in the lobby while waiting for your table or cab.

Somewhere on this board is the very long list of restaurants that I got years ago from all the Great Canadian Fodorites like mitchdesj and BAK and Daniel Williams and zootsie..do a search, the same restaurants are spoken of here as well as many others .. while we have gone to Montreal often over the years, there really is nothing like the recommendation of someone who actually lives there!
Scarlett ( waaay over here in Oregon now)
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the referrals!! And will give as many of these a shot. Toque is a little out of our budget anyway.