Search

Montreal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 02:29 PM
pablo

Montreal

I will stay in Montreal on September and I have some questions: <BR>1. I booked at Hotel du Fort. Is it a good choice? <BR>2. How is the best way to go from the Montreal Pier to this hotel, and then, to Dorval Airport? <BR>3. Is the village gay a safe place to visit? <BR>4. Finally I appreciate any suggestion for places to eat near from this hotel (maybe some typical food at reasonable prices). <BR>Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Daniel williams

1. I've heard good things about Hotel du Fort; the location is not bad, not far from Guy-Concordia metro. Can't speak from experience though. <BR> <BR>2. I'm not sure what you mean by the Montreal pier. And will you be driving or needing public transport to Dorval? <BR> <BR>3. I've been in Montreal's le Village Gai at all hours, and have friends that live there. There are squeegee kids that will ask for "un peu de change", and you will see an occasional hustler...but all in all, it's an area that I felt relatively safe in. It's quite a busy area with restaurants, shops, bookstores, nightclubs...very vibrant and a lot of fun. Particularly on Ste. Catherine St. and de Maisonneuve just north. Metro Beaudry. <BR> <BR>4. You've got quite a number of great eating options in the Guy/concordia area. There's a really good noodle place on Ste. Catherine Ouest (I forget the name, but it could be soup & noodles) and le Faubourg has tons of options...Hot 'n Spicy there is quite popular. Eggspectation on de Maisonneuve is a brunch option, but as I mentioned...there are tons of options of all varieties and I really just name the few that happened to pop into my head. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. Montreal's fabulous.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:27 AM
Pablo

Daniel, <BR>I really appreciate yours comments. <BR>When I say Montreal Pier, I mean that I will arrive to Montreal in a Cruise ship, so I need some instruction to arrive from this port to the hotel. I will spend one more day and then I will take the outbound flight at Dorval. I rather Public transportation. Thank you very much!.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:44 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi Pablo, <BR> <BR>There is a bus to the airport which costs approximately CAN$10. You can pick it up at Station Centrale for autobus (metro: Berri-UQAM) or at the Aeroports de Montreal bus terminal (near University and de la Gauchetière, Metro: Bonaventure or McGill). There are also commuter trains and a bus that go out to Dorval...I've never gone to the airport that way. A taxi will run you around CAN$28 from downtown locations to the airport. <BR> <BR>If the "pier" is anywhere near le Vieux Port, you can either walk from there to metro Champ de Mars or catch a taxi to your hotel ($8). There are several buses that run in Vieux Montreal also that can take you to metro stops (have a $2 coin handy for this). <BR> <BR>Have a great time in Montreal. Montreal's public transportation is one of the best on the continent, so you should have no trouble getting around. <BR> <BR>DAN

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 10:36 AM
pablo

Hi Dan, <BR>I am going to stay only 02 day there so I would not to waste a lot of time looking for this information. Thanks for you reply.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 01:27 PM
Helen

Pablo, I've stayed twice before at the Hotel du Fort. In fact, if you do a search on this message board you might find my old message about it. It's an excellent choice. <BR> <BR>We were last there in 1999. While it's a bit to the west of the prime tourism areas, (and quite a bit to the west of the Gay Village,) it's a great place to stay, and as mentioned above the area offers lots of choices for your meals. It's a short walk to the metro from the hotel, and we remember the staff as being muy simpatico. (We'd be staying there again this month but we got a good deal on Priceline so we're staying elsewhere.)