Search

money

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
money

My husband & I will be traveling to Montreal on the 18th. We do not use ATM's here in the U.S. and do not have an ATM card. (We use credit cards & just pay them off via internet each month. We just find it alot easier to keep up with.)
My question is...do I need to change some money before, for taxi fare ect.? Can I rely on using my plactic everywhere? I read in a previous post Scotia(?) Bank does not charge a fee. Anyone know if this is correct? Any input would be helpful.Thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 02:46 PM

If you want to use US dollars they will take them on par, which gives them about a 6% profit. Most are happy to get them, Canadian $ are the best to use but if you don't want the hassle, you can use US $. Buck
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Hi Mommacl,

I live in Montreal and I would advise you to definitely bring at least some cash with and not to rely totally on credit cards. Many small extablishments are cash only. You will most probably be able to use your plastic in 90% of places but I would have some cash handy.

Have fun in Montreal it's beautiful here!!

Layla
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

aucho53
interesting sign on!
when you mean some cash, should some be in Can$ or should we expect that the taxi will take US . Taking cash(US) is not a problem for me. Should I get some exchanged when I get there?

BTW I am so excited that I am going to visit your beautiful city!! My husband & I did not celebrate our 20th. That day our daughter moved into her 1st dorm room at college. This is our 21st & we're pretending it's our 20th!!

We thought Montreal would be a great romantic vacation.

We are from Texas & I know that you have humid summers, but it's nothing like it is here.

Any tips for places to dine, we like small, local, non tourist places?
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM

I'd think it's a good idea to have $CAN cash (not $US) on you for small, cash-only establishments (sometimes very cool places!) as well as maybe taxis. People aren't as happy to get $US as they were before, as it's a bit of hassle and the $CAN is strong.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM

Do not forget that Canadian law requires that change be given in Canadian $ even if you pay in US $.
Just so you know when you get handed a blue 5.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 01:43 PM

If you are using a Bank of America card at a ScotiaBank ATM, BOA will waive their fee. But since ou aren't using an ATM card, this woulnd't apply to you.

Most people will be very happy to accept American dollars from you, because it is worth more thatn our dollar ( but not by much these days).
But it would be better if you use Canadian Dollars for 2 reasons. Number one, you won't be losing money on every dollar you spend, no matter how little, it's still losing money. And number 2, just as a courtesy, I feel you should use the currency of the country you are visiting.
I would suggest converting a small amount of dollars to Canadian and use your visa for everything else.

Have a great time.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Hi Mommacl,

I think it's best to have some Canadian Cash on you when you arrive, it will just make things easier for you, and yes many of the small cash only establishments are very interesting little places as Daniel mentioned. I'm sure that most places would take the US $$ but I would simplify things and bring CAD $$.

Enjoy!!

Layla
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM

to your question of dining choices try l'express - http://www.montrealfood.com/restos/lexpress.html

great times - good luck finding it.

Old Aug 16th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

thank you all.
We will change a small amount of cash at the airport & use credit cards for the most part.

any more tips??