Mexico City or Montreal in April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wife and i are considering a trip to one of these two destinations. after taking a busy trip to Europe this year we'll take a more regional and less expensive trip to one of these two places in the spring. I've never been to Canada or Mexico but she's been to both. I'm into the city life and enjoy monuments, squares, museums, international food, culture, etc. She doesn't really care too much about where we go. I've researched both places and am intrigued by both areas...

we both enjoyed Lisbon and Mexico City seems to have a similar "gritty" feel to it. Montreal on the other hand will give us a semi "european" flavor...just worried about the weather in April...will it be too cold for sidewalk cafes? I know it will be warm in Mexico

i'd just like to hear from people that have been to BOTH and hear some pros and cons, feedback, that kind of deal. Having a tough time deciding. thanks
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 04:38 AM

It's an apples/oranges comparison, so flip a coin. Montreal's weather in April will be variable; there could be snow at the start of the month, spring flowers at the end. But please, think of it as its own city rather than an outpost of Paris. Outdoor terraces, for instance, are a relatively recent development, not a long tradition. Bring-your-own-wine restaurants are popular, unlike Paris. Each to its own.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 02:36 PM

tailsock,

I live in Montreal, have been to Mexico City. Where to begin?

I think the fact that I've been to New York City directly following each city might help you. Montreal always seems so eerily silent after visiting NYC, New York City seems like a sleepy, almost quiet place next to Mexico City.

Advantages of Mexico City: If you like history, Mexico City has the Aztec and Teotihuacan history right there; even the European part of the capital's history is longer with the Spanish arriving well over a hundred years before the French settled on Montreal island. So, Mexico City has layers and layers of history like Rome and I would say has an advantage over us as far as museums are concerned. The Museo de Antropologia is phenomenal, mind-blowing I would even say. You can (and will often need to)practice your Spanish here, which can be fun. Coming from the USA or English Canada, Mexico City will feel far more different than Montreal will feel, if difference is what you're looking for.

Advantages of Montreal: If you hit nice weather, we've got an amazing cycling network which you just won't find in Mexico City. It's greener and tends not to get the terrible smog of the Mexican capital. The city feels more organized if you prefer that, and safety warnings are much less (you can hail any taxi here without thinking, although I feel compelled to add that I never felt particularly unsafe in the Mexican capital). You can (but typically don't need to) use your French here if you wish to practice, which can be fun.

Both cities have a Latin flair, a seemingly endless variety of interesting neighbourhoods to explore, beautiful architecture, terrific restaurants, amazing nightlife and a unique energy unlike no other in North America. You can get around both cities without a car.

April is a toss-up in Montreal. Sometimes we can get some glorious days when Montrealers are happy to be alive and the city has a special energy. Sometimes it can be miserably slushy and unpleasant.

Honestly, you'll have a great trip either way. I would go with Mexico City just since it's April.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 02:47 PM

I would go with Mexico since it's April and I prefer warmer weather.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 08:23 PM

No Contest-Mexico City is light years above & beyond what little Montreal has to offer
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

these are very good thanks guys... leaning more towards Mexico City.. the smog will suck but the entire time we were in Madrid it smelled like a tire was burning nearby and we had a blast. Weather is a big factor and i wouldn't want to leave it to chance.. my wife froze her butt off in europe in March and would not be happy if she did it again in Canada. We'll probably make it up there eventually but the warmer weather and attractions will sell her on MC
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 06:13 AM

Just of note with regard to Mexico City smog:

I understand it can be bad sometimes but when I went to Mexico City, every day there I had beautiful clear blue skies. While smog most of the year is not perceptible in Montreal, I remember when my brother came to visit, one almost couldn't see the view of the city from the mountain was so hazy you couldn't even see some nearby mountains. These things are so weather pattern dependent.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:08 PM

although i'd love to go to montreal to bicycle w/ daniel, i agree mexico city in april s a better chance of nice weather. i used to go to mexico city regularly but have not been in about 10 years. my fluency in spanish made it easy for me to enjoy the city and meet locals. i don't know if you are a spanish speaker or whether there has been a greater penetration of english in the last decade. having said that i don't think you'd starve in mexico city and the food is fabulous. it is significantly bigger than montreal w/ some neighbourhoods seeming like cities of their own. the architectural remains of ancient civilizations are everywhere and the museum that daniel mentions is one of the most comprehensive and fabulous archeological museums in the world.

if you are earthquake phobic you might be happier in montreal though. i was in mexico city the january after the last huge quake (sept 1985 i believe ) and the destruction and loss of life was huge. the city is built on a lake bed. the model of tenochitlan ( the lake capitol) in the anthropology museum is stunning. a lot of the damage that we saw around the alameda park was 1950's and 60's construction. the torre latinoamican was fine as i recall. we stayed usually in a hotel on the opposite side of the alemeda , a 16th or 17th C masonry convent and it was virtually unscathed. go figure

either city is a wonderful choice if you are prepared for some wild canadian spring weather

cheers
AndrewDavid