Reload this Page >

Mama Mia in Toronto

Search

Mama Mia in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Heather

Mama Mia in Toronto

Interested in any comments anyone has about the play Mama Mia. Would kids (ages 10 and 12) like it? If you had to pick only one play to see in Toronto which would it be? Also...any favorite eating spots in close proximity to the theatres?

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Molly

Only can comment on Mama Ma...My husband & I saw it before it hit Broadway when it was playing in San Fran during our honeymoon, the show was GREAT!(Almost the same cast) It is such a fun show. While your children may not get into the story line so much (which is great too) I think all ages can enjoy the music, which there is plenty of. The show is a must see! <BR><BR>HTH!<BR>Molly

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:35 AM
canuck

Saw Mama Mia in September in Toronto. Not sure if kids that age would appreciate it. My husband and I loved it! I'm thinking maybe the Lion King might be more appropriate for that age group. Although there were kids there.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Sonya

Hello Heather. Our family with a 12 year old girl recently saw Mama Mia. Everyone in the family loved it. However, there are slightly adult themes. The storyline involves a young woman searching for her father among 3 men her mother had 1 night stands with over a period of 2 weeks. There is also a slightly bawdy rendition of 1 of the ABBA songs by one of the lesser cast members. That said my children (all 3) liked it better than Les Mis, Phantom, Cats, Chicago and Chorus Line. If you want a show everyone will enjoy (especially the adults) my advice is Mama Mia. If you are concerned about the theme, which is very lightly played, then go for the Lion King. We have tickets to see it next. Have waited so long because my husband thinks it's only a kiddie show and I have tried to convince him it's just a show that depends more heavily on costumes and staging. Of course you could always see both! As for food near the theatre do a search and you will find lots of suggestions. Alice Fazooli's is at 294 Adelaide and has a good mix of adult and kid things (pizza) and is open late after the theatre or before for a snack/early dinner. Sonya

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Sonya

Hit the send button too soon. If you choose Lion King try to get an aisle seat on the orchestra level so that your children can experience the opening up close. For Mama Mia all of the seats are good but I would steer you away from seats near the speakers as the music can get VERY loud at times.<BR>