Mama Mia?

Jun 11th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Becky

Mama Mia?

Comments on the play Mama Mia. Which would you recommend as being the best--Lion King or Mama Mia?

Jun 12th, 2001, 04:59 AM
Susan

They are really different. Lion King is quite incredible - the opening with the animals coming down the aisles is amazing. You actually start to believe there are animals on stage, not people with masks and headgear! But Mamma Mia was very nostalgic for me. I was never an ABBA fan - their music always seemed too stagey and theatrical - but it fits perfectly into a play for that reason. I went to Greece in the 70's and could identify with the situation as well! I think Mamma Mia was more fun as well. Plus we knew all the songs!

Given that both are hits, it's hard to get tickets. If you're coming to Toronto and only able to get tickets to one of them, I guess that would be the deciding factor. Both are worthwhile.

Jun 12th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Mike

Mama Mia is more fun and has better songs-The Lion King has much better scenery and stage design. If you like Abba at all, I would pick Mama Mia.

Jun 12th, 2001, 06:02 AM
John

Mamma Mia is actually the "tough ticket" in town now, apparently. I just bought tix for late August performances of both shows and got much better seats for Lion King. Upper balcony was best we could do for Mamma Mia while orchestra and lower balcony were plentiful for LK.

Jun 12th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Bonnie

Definitely Mama Mia. We went with friends and didn't know what to expect.
It was wonderful. I can not say the same thing about Lion King. We enjoyed it but weren't dancing in the aisle the way we did at Mama Mia.