Lunch in Victoria

Search

Lunch in Victoria

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch in Victoria

We will be in Victoria on 9/27 on a Princess cruise and would like to have a great lunch(French,Seafood or Contemporary).Any suggestions?
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:21 PM

If you want something completely different from dining on your cruise ship, go to Barb's Fish and Chips on Fishermen's Wharf. You get the fish and chips in newspaper and eat at picnic tables on the wharf. They are the freshest amd best fish and chips you will find anywhere.

For something more upscale, I've enjoyed Café Brio and the Herald Street Caffe.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:05 AM

I second the motion to go to Barb's Fish and Chips. Have also been to both other places laverendrye mentioned and would recommend them too. If you like curry, the Bengal Bar in the Empress Hotel serves a great one.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM

I have eaten at several places in Victoria but two years ago had dinner at BRAVO's on Wharf Street and most impressed with food, service and price. Hope it is still the same. They serve lunch also.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM

Not sure if Nautical Nelly's is open for lunch, but we just ate there a few days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. They have an extensive seafood menu. The name is a bit corny, but really great decor and food.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:46 PM

Sludick - How about a trip report??
Hope you had a wonderful time.

Best restaurant L'ecole Brasserie without question.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:29 PM

I'm surprised people like the fish at Barb's. I thought it was greasy and horrible. Is Cafe Brio open for lunch any more?
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:23 AM

I had dinner at Café Brio, so it may well not be open for lunch.

As for Barb's, my recollections of the fish and chips were that they were very good indeed. It might have changed, or perhaps my memories are a bit faulty with time.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:06 AM

Fish and chips are supposed to be greasy!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:06 AM

I meant greasier than normal.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:22 PM

April is right. Those of us who live in Victoria don't eat at Barb's. The fish is very greasy and they don't change the fryer fat as often as they should. Best fish and chips in Victoria (where the locals eat) is Haultain Fish and Chips on (surprisingly enough) Haultain St. However that is not in the downtown tourist area. I had recommended l'ecole brasserie but I checked and it and also Cafe Brio are not open for lunch. The Bengal Room at the Empress is a good suggestion for curry buffet and the room is beautiful. Just across the street from the Empress (the side street) is Pescatores. They have the best gourmet seafood in town. They are open for lunch and you can check their website to see if the menu appeals at www.pescatores.com
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:16 PM

traveller69 -- hang in there, trip report coming. We're not back yet -- am typing this at the Sheraton Wall Centre in Vancouver. Back in another day or so!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 11:07 PM

Hi Sludick - hope you didn't get washed away in the rain the other day. We are currently in the Okanagan and haven't seen a drop of rain. I'm looking forward to your report and in the meantime have a great rest of your trip.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Just wondering how you liked the Sheraton Wall Centre. That is one of our choices for September 06 with the other being The Sutton Place Hotel. Love to hear your comments.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:18 AM

'Anyone been to the Wharf lately? It's right downtown (you can walk to it from the cruise ship), it's right on the water, it must seat 500 people, you can sit on a balcony overlooking the Inner Harbour, it specializes in sea food, and when I was there a few years ago, it was excellent.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Hi - It is still there. The name is actually Wharfside Eatery. It is a fun place and the food is good but we do have better seafood in town. Just depends on what mood you are in.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:27 AM

Hello,
I will jump in although it be unfitting. I was just wondering what type of technology sludick was using...whether it be a pocket pc or laptop. I am sorry to inject but I need some good ideas on pocket pc vs laptop to take on my trips. Many thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:33 AM

In Victoria we had an awesome lunch right on a wharf. There was a fish and chip place, but we went to the local fish vendor located beside them and ordered steamed crabs and ate them at a picnic table. They were awesome! We even had a chance to feed the seals that were poking their heads up looking for snacks! It was around a large complex with offices and a marina - somewhere off of Dallas Road.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Mycuppajava -- I'm using your standard laptop. Most often, the connection is wireless. For a case, I have a laptop backpack (one of the smaller, sporty models). I don't carry a purse on board the plane, everything I need is in the backpack. (Actually, I stopped taking a purse when traveling years ago, when my purse was stolen at DFW airport. But that's another story..)
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 05:07 PM

Thanks. I know about the purse being stolen also. That is a frightful experience. Mine turned up later in a bathroom and the bathroom was checked out at the time of theft so I know it was an inside job.

What kind of laptop do you have? Mine I have now is about 8 lbs. and that is quite hard carrying it through airports, etc. I may have to get another ... one that is lighter. Computers come in so great about getting around and also activities, etc. Where are you located? I am in Tennessee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -