Hotel Rec in Vancouver

Search

Hotel Rec in Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Rec in Vancouver

My husband and I are going to Vancouver for the first time in a few weeks. We are considering one of the following hotels:
Wedgewood
Sutton

If anyone has an opinion on these two hotels (or others we might like) we'd love to hear from you!

Thanks

Cindy
Houston
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:04 AM

If you do a quick search on this forum, you'll find that lots of posters really like the Wedgewood (and I agree with them).

I don't know the Sutton so can't comment on it.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Ten years ago on a five month trip of the Western US and Canada, we LOVED The Wedgewood. We stayed there just a few weeks ago and my memories remain intact. In fact they have just finished redoing rooms and they are wonderful. I wasn't too keen on the addition of a big bathtub in the corner of the bedroom of the executive rooms, but our traveling companions loved that -- soak, relax, and watch TV. And our dinner in the restaurant was superb in every way. (Watch out for those breakfast prices, though.) We called the hotel and got a nice discount (partly because of AAA, but somehow even greater than what they say that is).
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the nice note. This really helps me make up my mind. The Weddgewood it is!

Cindy
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Definitely the Sutton Place. Wedgewood is nice, but Sutton Place is in a whole different class. It is one of only two five star hotels in Vancouver. Beautiful rooms, meticulous service, great piano bar.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you so much for the rec. of Sutton Place. It was initial intution that it would be great. What makes you like it better than the Wedgewood?

Cindy
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:19 PM

I can't answer for teach, but the Wedgewood has a total of 84 rooms and suites. The Sutton Place is five times larger! I doubt if the doormen and the desk clerks at Sutton Place would have all been greeting me by name each time I entered or exited as they did at The Wedgewood. That was pretty impressive.

Meanwhile, I know nothing about the piano bar at Sutton Place, but I did notice that the Wedgewood Bar was named "best bar" in Vancouver by Vancouver Magazine this year. Note, surprisingly that wasn't "best HOTEL bar", but simply BEST BAR. And Bacchus at Wedgewood was named second for hotel dining.

Meanwhile Wedgewood remains a privately owned small hotel, rather than one owned by a large corporation as part of a chain.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:00 AM
dona

Hi -- just stayed at the Sutton Place for 3 nights and we really liked it and we are definitely not fans of big hotels. While the doorman, desk clerk and other staff didn't know our name on seeing us, all the staff were outstanding. Anything one requested you got in minutes and they were as friendly and nice as could be. Very well run hotel and just rennovated. We were on the 18th floor and had a fabulous view although we were told that we couldn't get a room with the "best views". Can't imagine what that would be since the view we had was great. One of the reasons we chose the Sutton Place was that we got a great rate that no other hotel of its caliber could come close to matching at the time we made reservations. I was a little concerned about selecting Sutton Place because Trip Advisor had a few negative reveiws of Sutton Place, but we found the rooms spotless, updated and very comfortable.