Speaking french in Montreal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to Montreal from Nova Scotia at the end of May so my son and my husband can go see th WWE at the Bell Centre. I am nervous about going because I don't speak much french. I will, of course, try to my best. I am looking forward to going but i was just wondering how much english is spoken there.I was 12 the last time I was there and remember someone being very rude to me because of my limited french. I'm also worried about driving and parking downtown. I think we have planned to stay at the Novotel as it is just down the street. Thanks.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:00 AM

Most people in Montreal who deal with the public speak English (especially at hotels and restaurants). HOWEVER any efforts you make to speak French - even a simple "Bonjour" are a good idea.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:03 AM

You needn't worry. Most people in Montreal speak fluent French and English.
If you greet them with 'Bonjour' they'll likely reply in English if you accent is poor but if you say 'Hello' you'll definitely get an English response.
It's a great city!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:59 AM

Downtown Montreal is totally bilingual -don't worry about that. You may encounter signs in French only, so bring a french-english dictionary. As for driving and parking downtown: Montreal is a big city with typical big city traffic problems, particularly at rush hour. On the other hand, Montreal driving doesn't seem to be as bad as many other cities. Parking is usually not too bad, especially if you are willing to park a few blocks off St. Catherine and walk a little.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
wow

I visit Montreal a lot. While in Montreal, I almost always speak only English. You'll be fine. Enjoy your trip! Montreal is an amazing city. Exciting, vibrant, lots of fun, great dining & shopping. The end of May will be a beautiful time to be there! So, don't be nervous....just go & enjoy!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

You have put my mind at ease. Thank you. We were only going to stay the one night but maybe we'll stay more. Thanks again.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Hi,

You will be fine with English in Montreal. They will appreciate your efforts in speaking French! Montreal is the center of industry and commerce, so English is widely spoken. Most Quebecois children learn both languages in school.

One of my favorite things about Quebec is how shopkeepers, hotel staff, restaurant staff discover which language a guest speaks. They will greet you with, "Bonjour/Hello?" and based on your response, they know to speak English or French. Very creative!

Have a great day!
Julia
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:56 AM

YOu will be fine in Montreal! We spoke both French and English while there. The beauty of Montreal(say vs Paris) is if folks can't take your bad French, they'll speak with you in English.