Kingston, Ontario questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, since our guests didn't want to go to Elora, I'm now thinking of whisking my SO away for an overnight somewhere. Aside from Elora and surrounds, and the other good ideas you've given me, I'm considering Kingson. It's a nice do-able distance away and it's more of a city than a small town, which really suits us more.

I've never been -- is there a nice main street for walking around? Some charming shops and restaurants, etc?

There seem to be a lot of nice inns there but I'm thinking of The Frontenac Club Inn (www.frontenacclub.com). It gets great reviews on TripAdvisor and its decor is more contemporary than dust-ruffley, if you know what I mean. Anyone stayed there? I don't know if I can get a reservation yet and I may have to shop around a bit so I'm happy to hear your recommendations. It's just a one-night getaway but I also don't want to spend a bazillion dollars.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 01:33 PM

It's a good place for a weekend. The summer weekend I was there there was lots going on; you can take a cruise through the 1000 Islands; go to Sir John A's Kingston home. Maybe the cruises have stopped for the summer? Someone here will know.

And maybe can comment on http://www.chezpiggy.com/ - the restaurant opened by former Lovin' Spoonful, the late Zal Yanovsky.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Oh ya! I forgot about Chez Piggy. I was there once, years ago, as we were driving through. I met Zal Yanovsky once...I loved that band! What a day for a daydream, eh?
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 07:10 AM
BAK

If you want to go to Chez Piggy, reservations are a good idea.

And don't forget a visit to the prison museum.

BAK
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Sigh.

I asked my SO this morning if he wanted to go away for a few days and he was less than enthusiastic. Too much work, too much pressure, too many houseguests in the last month and he just wanted to stay home for a while. While I'd love to get away for a couple of days, there's really no point in my dragging him along if it's just going to stress him out rather than relax him.

I'm going to wait a week or two before I bring it up again and see if he's more amenable to the idea then. If not, we'll at least do a day trip, so Elora may be back in the picture. If he shows more interest in an overnight, I think Kingston is a great choice. And yes, Chez Piggy for sure! And maybe even the prison museum.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 10:34 AM

goddesstogo, I was going to chime in earlier when you were first planning on visiting Elora (don't you love trying to plan ahead and then everything goes awry?!) We drove through Kleinberg a few weekends ago and I was amazed at how quaint it is. Even if your SO doesn't want to go somewhere for a weekend it might be a nice wee jaunt for a daytrip. And of course the McMichael Collection is there and worth a visit. As for Kingston, I'm planning a night there in November and will let you know what we thought. Also looking at The Frontenac Club as a possibility.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

The sad thing is that I know he'd relax and enjoy it once he got there but I've got limited cajoling left in me. I'm tempted just to get away by myself for a couple of days but part of the point of a mini-break was to get some time together away from home.

Yes, I definitely think he'll do a day trip but I'd like it to be soon, while the weather and the trees are both still pretty. Kleinberg's now been added to the list -- I've never been to the McMichael. Bad, bad Canadian!

starfish, someone told me yesterday that Picton is supposed to be very nice. They said they heard great things about the Isiah Tubbs Inn. I looked at their website, though, and to be honest I think the Frontenac looks better. I'd be interested to read a mini trip report.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM

The view from the great room at the McMichael would be very pretty right now with the leaves turning. The gallery is on 100 acres.

Old Oct 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM

We have friends who have a lovely
bed & breakfast in Belwood, right
outside of Fergus . In the event
you do get to have a one day/night
get away and want more info let me
know.
Sherri
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 05:32 AM

Hi Goddesstogo,

From Montreal here. I went to Kingston a few years back and I would recommend a visit. You'll quickly realize upon visiting that Kingston played an important role in Canadian history, briefly capital of United Canada about 150 years ago as is evidenced today by some of its stately limestone buildings and handsome churches.

Kingston IMO is a charming, walkable town. We didn't even rent a car, arriving by VIA rail for a day trip and taking the bus into the city; taxis were available in front of City Hall. Princess Street has some cute shops; I went to Pan Chanco for lunch which was terrific... my friend went nuts at the Farmer's Market (Saturday) on Brock St. with all the reasonable prices! There's a tourist info centre in front of city hall with suggestions for historic walking tours; I recommend walking through the Queen's campus and over to John A. MacDonald's house (Bellevue House) and returning along the riverfront MacDonald Park.

Go, see for yourself! I recommend locating yourself centrally if you overnight.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM

I managed to dig up my Kingston trip report from 3 years ago if you're interested.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34615843
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 03:17 PM

goddesstogo, wherever you decide to go, hope your honey gives in soon as you say before all the colour is gone. Prince Edward County is great - I liked Picton but it's not what I would call quaint (they're trying hard though!) Haven't been to Isaiah Tubbs for a while but it was a bit tired. I do think The Frontenac Club would be a better bet if you decide on Kingston.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Sigh. I mentioned it again this morning but it looks like it's a no-go. The man just works too much.

Thanks for all the hints, though. There's always the spring, right?
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

YAY! We're going! YAY! And I didn't even have to wear him down -- he just revisited his calendar and remembered that he didn't have to teach on Monday. YAY!

Tomorrow I'm going to make plans and jot down some notes from the two Kingston posts. I know it's just a local overnighter, but I really really need this mini-break! \/
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 02:55 AM

Have fun!
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Well, the Frontenac Club is all booked up but I booked us in to the Abbey Manor Inn. It's a little more ruffle-y in it's decor but I'm just happy to get a spot. The Abbey Manor and the Secret Garden are sister inns and both get excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. Has anyone stayed at either one?

starfish, the Frontenac requires a 2-night booking on the weekend although the fellow did say he'd call me if he had a cancellation. Have you made your plans yet?
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM

Yay goddesstogo! Persistence always pays off huh? We are actually booked into the Abbey Manor as well because of the two night minimum at The Frontenac. I'll be happy to hear how you like it but it does get great reviews. When are you going?
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

We're going on November 8. You?
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM

Nov. 22nd - I guess you win the first trip report! I'll look forward to hearing about it. Hope you have a great time.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

I'll definitely write in and let you know what the place is like. I hear they have a fabulous breakfast and our room has a fireplace beside the bed and a double jacuzzi. I'm going to take a few of the suggestions from the two Kingston threads for restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -