Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just moved to Toronto, why is it so difficult to make friends?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just moved to Toronto. I find Canadians to be very friendly people, but they (Canadians) have their group of school friends and outside of a casual they do not want to know you. Have other people had the same experiences in Canada. Is this normal in the western countries? Any suggestion on how to meet/make friends? Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM
BAK

Yes, it's normal in the "western" countries. And it is worse in small towns and cities than it is in the big centers like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

There's a story in the newspaper today about organizations that arrange for people to meet other people.

Most nwcomers to the city seem to make their new friends via work or school; some who join new churches find this a good way to make new friends, but in some churches, if you have not been there for a long time, you are still an outsider.

BAK
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Lots of times you can meet people doing things you like to do. Don't worry so much about making friends, but concentrate on the activity. You obviously like computers, why not sign up for a computer class at a community college. What about the health club, cooking class, reading group, sailing - whatever. Get out and do some stuff and friendships will follow.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:27 AM

Partyon, check out this site, I bet you could make a few friends on here for sure! I understand where you are coming from...

http://www.twofortheshow.com
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Hi Partyon,

Welcome to Toronto. I just moved here a couple years ago and within a few months, it felt like home. I love it.

When I got here, I didn't know anyone, but I made my friends through work. And as work friends introduce you to their outside of work friends, your circle grows.

Explore the city. Enjoy your independence and the rest will follow.

Best of luck!
Carrie