just back from Ottawa business trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mostly it was business all week but I thought I would share some info you might find useful.

Stayed at the Westin for $239C a night plus (lots of) tax, maybe 14%. Wonderfully comfortable hotel, great beds, friendly staff. Nice list of wine by the glass in the hotel bar.

In the neighborhood of the hotel we walked to the beautiful Parliament building and enjoyed seeing the river. The squirrels are black and look nice against the green lawns. The buildings are old and majestic looking.

On the grounds we came across a few plump cats and then saw the nice old guy who runs the cat hostel. Not a big talker but the cats look contented and I guess that says it all. I liked that the cat hostel looked vaguely like the a miniature version of the Paliament building.

We walked to the museum of contemporary photography and saw an interesting if small exhibit of mixed media--photo and paint--work. The building was partly closed for renovation so the fellow working there let us in for free. That worked out well as we had limited time anyway.

The museum building is quite beautiful in its own right and overlooks the locks of the Rideau Canal. 2007 is the 175th birthday of the canal and the city is planning a big celebration. I also learned that the canal is being considered for designation as an international heritage site. I believe the result will be announced in June.

Also in that area is the Fairmont Chateau Laurier, a grand old hotel that is worth a look arounnd. We went there for tea one afternoon and had a marvelous cream tea, done right!

One evening two of us walked to a small and casual restaurant nearby, the Black Tomato. This restaurant has a lot of fans. I thought the menu was interesting and the food was above average. I had a good glass of wine (actually, I had two). Where the place shone was in the comfortable ambience, sort of pub-like but very civilized. Also very warm and welcoming service. Not an inexpensive place, I think my chicken breast with prosciutto was about $15 and my wine was maybe $8.

Another evening seven of us walked to a restaurant called Eighteen. Superb. Very fine food, service, decor. Chic and elegant. We were dressed in business attire which was fine but you could dress to the nines at this place if you were so inclined.Expensive and worth it. My scallops were $30, my green salad was $10 and my glass of wine was about $10.

Ottawa is a very nice city for walking around. Clean and safe-feeling. All of the Canadian people I dealt with were charming and kind. I was taken with the bi-lingual thing. It seems to be more than just a two language thing, it feels like something that runs throughout the culture. I liked it.

Most of my time there was tied up in meetings but I am glad that I was able to squeeze a little bit of sight-seeing in as well. This was my first-ever trip to Canada!

My best souvenir was a complete set of Royal Canadian Mounted Police trading cards.

Olive Oil

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Olive Oil, I'm glad you enjoyed Ottawa. I love going there and always enjoy myself.
FIve years ago I went during the winter carnival and actually put on skates for the first time in 30 years ( or more!) and skated the whole length of the canal! I was very proud of myself.
It's quite beautiful to see the ice sculptures in the winter for anyone going then.

Olive Oil, did you enjoy the market area?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Thanks for your report olive; I always enjoy trips to Ottawa - and, in fact, am going again as I want to experience November 11 at the National Cenotaph. I'll keep your restaurant tips in mind.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

You are welcome, kodi and SallyCanuck. Yes, the Byward Market was a very short walk away from the Westin and the flowers and produce were beautiful. I am not crazy about the little tourist shops, they give me a stomach-ache, but my travel companions had a great time.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:12 AM
wow

Thanks for your Ottawa report, Olive Oil.
I hope to be there in Novenber so will make a note of your restaurants.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Olive Oil - It's great to hear you enjoyed Ottawa. It's one of my very favorite places to visit. I never tire of it.

The cat sanctuary is wonderful. Those cats are very well cared for and Rene does a great job (especially for someone of his advanced age). I always bring enough extra cash with me to leave a generous donation.

Side fact: the black squirrels are the same species as the grey squirrels (I found that out on my first visit - I was a bit awed by them).
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:33 AM

So glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to the city I've lived in for all my 26 years. I don't think it gets enough 'hype' on travel boards sometimes.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Sweetbipity, I'm sure that people in Ottawa are nice in general, but we had a very bad experience at the B&B on Sandy Hill. The owner was a total anti-semit and harassed girls all over the house. We never met anything like this, he claimed that he was a former diplomat, but if Canada has this kind of diplomats, gosh....

The sighseeing part of the trip was Ok, but each time going back to B&B we thought that we'd rather stayed at a hotel.

What we did not like also is that so many people smoked, and that on the other side of the river all the restaurants were smoking, they would have like a non-smoking table in the corner, but all the customers smoked around.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Uhm - the "other side of the river" is a different city in a different province (Hull in the province of Quebec) and therefore has different bylaws - hence the smoking. You won't find a "smoking in restaurants" problem ANYWHERE in the city of Ottawa.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Ottawa has had a smoking ban in public places since 2003, and earlier this year, the province of Québec has instituted one. So there is nowhere in the Ottawa-Gatineau area where one will find a restaurant or bar in which smoking is allowed.

BTW, we still refer to Hull, but a number of years ago, it joined with Aylmer and Gatineau to form the City of Gatineau.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Friendlys: You should report that B&B owner to Ottawa tourism; they want to hear when visitors aren't treated well.

"Ottawa Tourism is here for you" they claim on their website so let them know you had a bad experience with this boob - I find it a tad hard to believe a former "diplomat" runs a B&B but anything is possible - usually they're living off their fat pensions.

Contacting Ottawa Tourism

By Phone:
You can reach Ottawa Tourism by phone (open Monday thru Friday, from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Eastern Time) by calling (613) 237-5150 or (800) 363-4465. You can also fax the office at (613) 237-7339.

By Mail:
Our mailing address is:
130 Albert Street, Suite 1800
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G4

By E-mail:

[email protected].

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM
ron

I wonder how recent friendlys's experience with an anti-Semitic and sexual (and possibly pedophilic) harrassing B&B operator is?

Other postings in the past month, where this B&B operator were not mentioned, seem to have a strong anti-Ottawa bias.
Author: friendlys
Date: 10/22/2006, 01:47 am
I don't know what should be included in the price of a BB for $75 in Ottawa. It is too expensive. Sandy Hill BBs are usually in old houses and not a good quality of service. Staying at the old jail house (Nickolas Street) could be cheaper.

Date: 10/22/2006, 02:22 am
Ottawa is small and boring town, so it is logical that there is inexpensive lodging there.

Date: 11/18/2006, 07:09 pm
I would not stay in Ottawa for more than 1 night. You can go to the Museum of Civilization and then walk around downtown, maybe go inside the Parliament Hill tower. Other than that, it's not much to see. They have Mint, but if you ever been at any Mint in the States, you will be disappointed with the Ottawa one. The Art Gallery is very poor in collections. The church across the street from it has columns covered with wallpaper, it's not even marble!

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Good for you, Ron.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Thanks, SallyCanuck, will do.

Ron, why you are so unhappy that someone finds Ottawa to be not very exciting place? It's an impression that we got, and everyone has a right on own opinion. Ottawa IS boring, it's not New York City, and museums are poor and not free like in DC. Food and stores are much better in Montreal, and people are friendlier there too. Ottawa is an OK place, but if you have limited amount of time, I would not advise to waste ther more than one day.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Ottawa should be the model for many cities - what a great place!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 01:25 PM

I agree Curt - Ottawa is a wonderful city!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 09:51 PM
ron

Friendlys, I’m not necessarily unhappy about people not finding Ottawa exciting. Tastes differ, and if one finds places like Waikiki, Las Vegas and Walt Disney World to be the ultimate destinations, one might well find Ottawa (or as Alan Fotheringham used to call it “Ennui-on-the-Rideau”) boring.

What I do wonder about is your motivation – why your primary contribution to the Fodor’s Forums to date has been to discourage visits to Ottawa? And why, in doing so, you resort to unsubstantiated slander, broad generalizations and spurious comparisons?
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 11:37 PM

Hm-m, Ron, I found that your postings are mainly devoted to trips to England/Scotland etc. It does not seem suspicious to me. Probably you never went to other places and want to share your opinion about the places you visited. And I'm not trying to discourage visits to Ottawa, I'm trying to describe what is to see in the city. You sound a bit aggressive in your attempts to question me. Are you sure you have no connection to the B&B of Sandy Hill I described?
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:26 AM

"Are you sure you have no connection to the B&B of Sandy Hill I described?"

This comment reflects more on the poster than on the person mentioned.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM

Friendlys - telling people there is nothing see in Ottawa isn't quite the same thing as "I'm trying to describe what is to see in the city". There are many things to see including the RCMP stables, the Parliament Buildings, Supreme Court, Canadian War Museum, National Gallery, Rideau Canal, Byward Market, Museum of Nature, National Arts Centre, Canadian Aviation Museum, Museum of Science and Technology, Chateau Laurier, Royal Canadian Mint, Hogs Back Falls, Vincent Massey Park, Mooney Bay, Rideau River, Ottawa River Parkway.

And that doesn't include the short "hops" to surrounding areas (Gatineau-Hull, Perth, etc.).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -