JAZZ BARS IN TORONTO

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 05:49 AM
ann

JAZZ BARS IN TORONTO

we'll be in Toronto for a couple of nights and would appreciate recommendations for places where we can enjoy some great jazz, rythm and blues. Thanks!

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 09:13 PM
Donna

Be sure to check out Upstairs at the Senator. There's a cover charge, but the ensembles are outstanding! Awesome ambience - you'll think you've been transported to Paris in the 30's. Worth a visit for the oil portraits on the walls alone. We also enjoyed N'Awlins on King Street. There are lots of other good spots. Visit www.toronto.com

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 06:52 PM
Brian Kilgore

The Montreal Bistro at the corner of Church Street and Sherbourne Street has a constantly changing selection of jazz performers. Some play for three or four nights, others only one night. It's a combination restaurant and bar, so you can eat diner and stay for the show, or just come in and sit at the bar, or perhaps at a table if they are not all occupied by eaters, and enjoy the show. Cover charges vary, depending on the group. Food is pretty good, but do not stretch the kitchen. Remember this is a jazz bistro,not a fine dining establishment. Steak sandwich is pretty good. Last time I was there I could have reached out and touched the drums. There's a "Quiet Policy" so you can actually hear the performers. Easy parking across the street.Bring coins for the ticket machine. Cabs will get you there, too. it's at the east side of downtown, but still walkable from the Royal York or King Edward or any of the hotels on Jarvis Street. Dinner for four, including one drink each for three people before dinner, inexpensive wine for dinner, one lamb, one steak sandwich and two salmon dinners was about $220, including tax, tip and cover charge that night of $12.50 each.

BAK

Old May 5th, 1999, 08:29 AM
Rick Brown

The nice thing about the Montreal Bistro is that the first set always starts at 8:00 P.M. sharp - so it doesn't have to be a late night (great for old fogies like me!).

Old May 5th, 1999, 08:36 AM
julius

Be aware that the prices mentioned in Brian's message are in Canadian currency. So, assuming, you're American, the US dollar is worth around $1.50 Canadian!

Old May 6th, 1999, 09:56 AM
Heather

THE RESERVOIR LOUNGE. A must!!!